Thread: configuring rtp300 behind a wrt54g

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default configuring rtp300 behind a wrt54g

Thought I'd post this here (as well as on the vonage forum) & see if anyone has any ideas - any help is GREATLY appreciated!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Background --
    For a couple years now I've been running my Linksys/vonage rtp300 router out in front of a wrt54g (running dd-wrt), which was set up only as a wireless AP. Recently, my wife's been playing DnD with friends via the webcam, resulting in long webcam usage.

We've found though that after about an hour and a half, the RTP300's power light turns red and the internet connection goes down. Unplugging it and plugging it back in to power temporarily fixes the issue, but the problem doesn't go away until the webcam & computers are off for awhile. (The webcam used to work fine for hours at a time, before I added the wrt54g into the mix.)

Since the RTP300 can't seem to handle the webcam data load indefinitely, and since the last time I had to reboot the WRT54G was a couple years ago, I thought I'd switch the routers so the more stable firmware would handle most of the load, and the RTP300 would only handle voice.

PROBLEM --
    After a LOT of fiddling, I got both routers working in this configuration, as well as the phone working. The problem? Even though the SSID was set to broadcast, neither our laptop nor our blu-ray DVD player could see the wireless network. Both worked perfectly fine prior to flipping the routers. And now in my fiddling around, I've messed things up again and only recently gotten the WRT54G WAN connection working again. The wireless still doesn't work, nor at the moment does the phone connection on the RTP300.

Anyone know of any settings I should be using in this circumstance? I can't imagine I'm the only one who's tried doing this, and I've read accounts by people who've said they've gotten their vonage device to run behind another router, but I haven't seen anything specific (re: model numbers and specific settings on each).

I'm happy to post screenshots of the various config pages on each router's firmware too....

Am I better off getting a WRTP54 router? And if I do, is it possible to put DD-WRT on it? Overall I'm much happier with their firmware than with the original linksys firmware...

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Default Re: configuring rtp300 behind a wrt54g

k....got the RTP300 phone access working again (set it to obtain an IP automatically, but set its own local ip on a different subnet - 192.168.16.1 instead of 15.1 - from the WRT54G. Now the only issue is wireless access on the WRT54.

I disabled my WPA2 security and found that...voila! it suddenly worked again. I looked at the help file and noticed it said WPA2 with TKIP doesn't work. So I changed it first to AES, then TKIP+AES, and for some reason the router keeps reverting back to TKIP even when I hit the "save settings" button followed by the "apply settings" button. Every time I do that, it sits there and processes, then the page comes back up but is still set on TKIP. any ideas? Thanks!!

Default Re: configuring rtp300 behind a wrt54g

and....SUCCESS! Turns out I had to clear the WRT54G's settings and set it all up again, and after that (seemingly magically) the WPA2 security setting with AES actually saved. Seems to all work fine now, even without any port forwarding set up on the router. I still have a record of which ports to forward to the RTP300 in case I have any Vonage issues, but for now I'm leaving it alone