Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Nice work. I love the sliding HDD trays. Once it's done this thing is gonna be like a tank...all that solid bar.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

pish. you've got 5 or 10 pounds to go before yours weighs as much as mine.
    Looks like some nice metalwork - I've been a little afraid to delve into metal, not knowing much about it (except it's vulnerability to a hacksaw + determination).
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    Oh, I think he'll make it. This is only, what, they bottom 1/4 or so?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

LOL...man...just one bit of advice then. Put wheels on that thing...or grease the heck out of the underside before you move it LOL
    Did I mention mine isn't metal?

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Looks like some nice metalwork - I've been a little afraid to delve into metal, not knowing much about it (except it's vulnerability to a hacksaw + determination).
    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Oh, I think he'll make it. This is only, what, they bottom 1/4 or so?
    LOL...man...just one bit of advice then. Put wheels on that thing...or grease the heck out of the underside before you move it LOL
    Did I mention mine isn't metal?
    LOL Yeah the base will be the heaviest part & will weigh a lot more filled with HDD's & a PSU above it , I want to make or buy some chunky case feet so I can easily pick it up from underneath so not to potentially damage the threads of the little m3 screws that go into the corner square bars.

Wish I bought the lathe when I was thinking about it a while ago, could be making some sweet additions to this by now, particulary with case feet, 3 main tools I could do with having a lathe, router & scrollsaw, then I think the only limit would be my imagination.

Also when it comes to either painting or anodising this I'll engrave codes to the unseen areas so I know how to put it back together lol .

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Also when it comes to either painting or anodising this I'll engrave codes to the unseen areas so I know how to put it back together lol .
    That, my friend, is a REALLY good idea. It's so easy to think, oh I'll remember how it all goes together, only to discover once it's disassembled that it just looks like a big ol' pile of parts.

That, my friend, is a REALLY good idea. It's so easy to think, oh I'll remember how it all goes together, only to discover once it's disassembled that it just looks like a big ol' pile of parts.
    Had to be done, gonna be sooo many parts with unique mounting hole positions so will save me heaps of messing about .

I'm a bit down, the fan holders just aren't gonna happen, the thickness of the sheet was 4.9mm not 5mm & I never knew until after I made the holders that cast acrylic sheet varies in thickness, this made the slot for the fans shrink by 0.5mm I tried filing & finger sanding to make the gap bigger but failed making a dogs dinner out of it so no striped lit up parts now, I sure don't fancy spending another £50 to replace the acrylic & rebuild, I'd sooner put that towards a scroll saw so I'm gonna time out & think about an alternative, actually I'm really disappointed with acrylic now after finding this fact out the hard way, sure it's fine for single layered tasks but for layered stuff that requires absolute precision it really isn't good if you don't know about this lack of precision in the material, however if you know about the varying thickness & plan according to that fact then it's not all bad & workable so I'll know for the next encounter I have with acrylic, also I messed up by not making jigs for while I stuck the holders together so they became rather wonky & required heaps of sanding to blend them seamlessly, done the sanding on 1 of them but wasn't happy with the result, they were supposed to be perfect fit & like I said, dogs dinner lol, so it's time to forget about the first big hicup & focus on an alternative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWaQKuqENU

I wrote this a few hours ago, was tired & hungry, since had a meal, awesome far better alternative ideas already brewing so there will be a surprise in this log after all , I might let the silly season pass through until I get started back up though & enjoy a bit of that GTX 580 goodness while it's still a beast , so over & out until January .

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

i love this project

+ vento weighs close to 15 kilos
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!