Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: piano computer

Default Re: piano computer

I'll see if I can't fiddle with it some more and get it to work.

I'd use a cheap used laptop; doesn't have to be manly or modern, just run a lightweight OS (like a stripped linux distro or Win9x) and a pdf reader.

This way you get a complete lappy mobo with VGA-out and USB ports (to allow plugging in a keyboard, mouse, and flash drive); the keyboard can be "hacked" out (ie, removed) and modified or replaced with any sort of USB keypad (or bastardized cheap USB keyboard stripped down to just the controller, LEDs, and a handful of keys). PSU can be taken "as is" with rechargeable laptop battery or you can buy/make an adapter for whatever odd DC voltage it requires (~14-22V+, varies by laptop model), heat shouldn't be hard to manage since the piano probably has more room than the original casing, use the existing fan/cooling and a little ducting.

Total cost might be $100 or less, probably cheaper than buying a little PC worth of components, plus you get a decent display and some plastics (or can score huge cost savings by buying a laptop with a busted screen).
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

I'll be honest upfront: I have no knowledge of how to do this, but it is a really great idea. Put pics up when you can.

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

I've managed to put together a P4 mini-ATX setup with an 80GB HD and a gig of RAM for about $50. I already had the screen and wireless keyboard/mouse. I have yet to put the system together and get it running, I've been trying to get my sandcrawler done first (nearly there!).
    I'll definitely get pics up as soon as I can...heck maybe I'll even just start a worklog right now with pics of the piano and the computer components... hmm....

As far as how to do it, it's a pretty simple setup. The P4 will have Windows and Acrobat installed on it, along with the 15GB or so of pdf sheet music. It'll be displayed on a 22" widescreen - just the right size so when I set up Acrobat to display 2 pages side by side, fullscreen, physically they'll be just a hair smaller than 8.5x11". Ideally I'd like an even bigger screen (but not too big, ie it'd be silly to try and run it to my 46" TV on the wall right above the piano). But the 22" will do for now. The only thing I'm waiting on are a couple of USB foot pedals. They're essentially a single button, but look like a pedal from a sewing machine, albeit smaller. I ordered a couple thru ebay from Hong Kong at the beginning of November and they never arrived; the seller has graciously agreed to send replacements instead of a refund so hopefully try #2 will work...Once I get those, I can map one to Pageup and one to Pagedown, and "turn" pages instantly with my foot.

Eventually I'd love to have something like an ipad, or as Konrad said a cheap laptop (wish I'd thought of that before I bought the P4, even though the P4 was super cheap and should work just fine). Eh well. It's still WAY easier than printing, binding, and finding space for 7,000 or 8,000 more pages of sheet music.

Oh yeah, and I may see if I can't find a small normal case to put it all in, with the goal of modding it at some point. I can't figure out how to take the piano casing apart, and I kind of want the computer to be at least semi-mobile. And since I'm just finishing the crawler, I *really* don't want to start another from-scratch construction just yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

You just need the right tools to disassemble the piano. Sledgehammer, crowbar, axe, and shovel.

Turn it upside down (or turn yourself upside down, probably easier) and look for screws/fasteners, glued or removable panels and fascia, etc. They might be hidden under rubber footpads, stickers, or decorative finish. There's gotta be some way to tune or service the piano, even if it's electronic.

Oh it can definitely be taken apart, I'm just not willing to risk breaking it, as it cost nearly $4000 and there's no way I can afford to replace it at the moment. I have looked inside (sort of) though, and there's not a huge amount of space in there - what appears to be extra room is actually for the keyboard lid when it's slid back. And I didn't want my computer to only work for this piano - I'd like to have the option of taking it somewhere.

I suppose it might be best to just mount a flat display externally and wire to a little box beside the piano (only damage to the piano would be some little mounting holes on the front panel). You might be able to design it such that a coverplate could fit onto (and protect) the display while functioning as a normal sheet stand.

Putting objects inside the piano might change its acoustic properties, though I don't really know. I only do electone, plenty of room inside the chassis. <g>

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Personally, I would just make the display either sit firmly in or clamp onto (whichever is applicable) the music holder. Maybe it's how I was raised, but the thought of drilling mounting holes into a piano is just... *shudders*
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Putting objects inside the piano might change its acoustic properties, though I don't really know. I only do electone, plenty of room inside the chassis. <g>
    In this case it wouldn't change the acoustics - the speakers are underneath the main body of the piano, so all the sound is aimed down, rather than back toward the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Personally, I would just make the display either sit firmly in or clamp onto (whichever is applicable) the music holder. Maybe it's how I was raised, but the thought of drilling mounting holes into a piano is just... *shudders*
    Yep, I completely agree. My music stand can fold down, and for the time being I was planning on just setting the monitor on top. I like the clamping mechanism idea though, I'll have to see if I can come up with something.

lol, you'd happily mod into a car, computer, building, or other "big ticket" item, yet hesitate when faced with a musical instrument?