Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arduino! Where to buy?

Default Re: Arduino! Where to buy?

Sweet! I went down to the apartment basement to do laundry, and someone had left out a Billy Bass robot thing for free.

Took it all apart, and now I've got a 4xC Battery circuit, bunch of resistors and capacitors, power jack, push button, motion/light sensor, power switch, and 3 decent looking motors. Sweet!

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

awesome!!!

you can interface those with arduino too there are a few of them on hackaday

Cool! I hacked it into individual pieces, as I find the fish itself to be creepy yet annoying. I figured the individual components would be of more use to me than changing what Billy says or something, hehe.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    I wish I could get a huge box (relatively) of components for a decent price that would have tons of different resistors, sensors, leds, etc to keep on hand.
    Another source for something like this is the 'Electronic Surprise' boxes from Electronics Goldmine. The have them in three different sizes, in prices ranging from $5-13. They can fit bigger stuff in the bigger boxes, so a 'Super' won't necessarily have all the stuff that a normal one will.
    normal: $5
    'Super': $8
    'Ginormous': $13

I have one of each on their way in an attempt to fill out my rather meager stores.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Another source for something like this is the 'Electronic Surprise' boxes from Electronics Goldmine. The have them in three different sizes, in prices ranging from $5-13. They can fit bigger stuff in the bigger boxes, so a 'Super' won't necessarily have all the stuff that a normal one will.
    normal: $5
    'Super': $8
    'Ginormous': $13

I have one of each on their way in an attempt to fill out my rather meager stores.
    Dont expect much useful stuff.

I got a regular and super last month http://themakersworkbench.com/?q=node/308

That's why I grabbed the 1075 piece bag from Jameco, as it looked like it would include more things that I would find useful as it laid out what could be inside.

I didn't want one of the grab bags that were anything from their inventory, as the inventory included things I might not have any use for.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Dont expect much useful stuff.
    There's no such thing as a useless component...just components that aren't useful right now.

Good to know though, I'll keep that in mind.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

This is the kit I have:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Arduino-Me...item414e1273b3
    The mega will accept all normal arduino shields and still have I/O left over.

I'll add more to this post in a few hours, so keep your eyes peeled.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    Thinking about getting an Arduino to play around with for my birthday?

Anyone know the best online shop for prices and selection on them and accessories? Specifically looking for the DIY kit, where you put it together and solder it yourself.

Thanks.

Edit: Looks like there are too many surface mount components on the Duemilanove for me to deal with, and I don't really want to start out with one of the clones. So maybe the $30 assembled one is the best start?
    The best Arduino to start out with is the Arduino Duemilanove, whether it has SMD or through-hole components, it doesn't really matter functional wise. Just some shields are designed for the SMD board. I wouldn't recommend SMD if you're going to solder it yourself unless you've got the tools or a very steady hand and nerves.

The idea behind arduino is to dev your project and then use it to program the atmega you you will use in your finished design. Arduino is not just hardware though. It is also software and user created library's. The support community behind arduino is what makes it stand out from other uC dev kits.

Also there is an Australian company. Protostack that sells an atmega dev kit for under $20. Crenn and myself have one of their boards.

Atmega 128 uC usualy run about $4 and can be programed with your arduino. Another $2 in caps and crystal and you are good to go.
    My understanding of Arduino was to make an environment so that people with knowledge of C/C++ could interact with a microcontroller.

For a beginner, I wouldn't recommend a stock ATMega dev kit, however, it's not too hard to pick up, you just need to know the basics and how to safely set registers. They're cheap and easy to re-use multiple times, there is also an advantage of having a dev kit such as the one sold at Protostack, and that is that you can buy a plain ATMega chip and burn the Arduino bootloader onto the chip yourself.

You will have to learn to code a little though if you want to play with one. The arduino language is a derivative of C though so its not that complicated. I can do it and that says a lot.
    There isn't really an 'arduino' language as it's just C++ compiled down to ASM (from my understanding) with base classes providing interaction with the various pins and ports.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Thanks Crenn. I will keep an eye out for your posts.

Arghh, that was one of the kits off ebay I had seriously considered. Eventually I am probably going to wish I had gotten the Mega. The extra I/O looks quite nice now.

I'll just have to see how much use I really get out of this one. What really drove the price up on what I had purchased was the ethernet shield. Damn thing cost 1.5x the Arduino itself.

I got some more parts out of 2 early 2000's cameras. Buttons, caps, resistors, diodes, 4xAA retainer, etc. Got a ~1.5" LCD out of one, but can't find any information on it at all, so doesn't look like it would be as easy (if possible to use) as a nokia screen. Have a couple old Samsung cell phones too, but doubt I could get the screens going.