Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Default Re: Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Hey guys, I did a live streaming test tonight on a dry run. I was having mic issues that have since been fixed. I was also experimenting with a dual webcam setup just to test it's feasibility. I'm not sure what I'll do with a second cam, but as you see, it's certainly possible to use one.

http://www.livestream.com/losiastech...2-6283ae9d8f69

(If you happen to get an irritating overlay on the bottom of the video, just pause and start again, and it should go away.)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Okay guys, since I have a habit of never being satisfied... I made a few changes to my CNC router. After my dry run with the picture in picture webcams, I started thinking about how cool it would be to add one of the cameras near the spindle itself. I thought it could capture the mill bit working as I machined. Well, in order to make this happen, I went ahead and got a $10 camera from newegg, and set out to find it a home.

I knew I had to get it as close to the spindle as possible, yet there could be no interference in the machine operation or safety. This was a must. The machine comes first, and these little extras second. So, as I was poking around with the cam, one thing became clear. My new mister bracket wasn't going to cooperate. I could either ditch the idea of a camera, or redesign the bracket. Well, I chose to make a new bracket. It is greatly simplified over the other one, but required the flexible metal shaft from a donor lighter. This shaft was the key to making everything work, as only this, a piece aluminum angle were going to be used in the new design. After a short while, the new bracket was in place, and I could move on the mounting the camera. This was even easier. I just needed a small aluminum triangle and a rubber washer... I removed the camera's original mount, and attached the aluminum. I then bolted the bracket to a free hole behind the spindle, and I was in business. So, shall we get on to a few pics?

Here you can see an overall pic of the machine. The new mister bracket, and the webcam behind the spindle are visible.

A little closer...

A few more closeups...

As you can see, there are no clearance issues of any kind. The machine is still just as easy to maintain, and I don't foresee any issues. Now all I need to do is get something cut!

dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Aw, it's a shame about that old bracket...it was so pretty.

Pretty sweet idea with the camera though; I can't wait to see it in action. Hopefully the shards won't get blasted all over the lens...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

It was pretty wasn't it? Lol, I had to change it though, and the new one will work just as well.

I'm going to make little clear plastic loops to put over the camera lens. I can just swap them and throw away as needed. If it doesn't work as well as i had hoped, I'm only out about $15 for the camera.

Awww man, you are so going to make want a CNC router, aren't you? Looking good Craig!

You know you want one! No, I take that back... you need one! You can justify it, right, right??

Oh I WANT/need one, simply can't jutify it right now. So many things it would get used for around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Oh believe me, I've come up with a whole list of things I think I need to make...

I managed to make a few cuts today guys. I was having a z-axis plunge problem which you will see in the first video in particular. (I've got videos 2 and 4 linked below). Apparently it's an occasional problem with Mach 3. I did manage to get it sorted though, and got all my cutting done. Take a look!

http://www.livestream.com/losiastech...9-a1e822fd22be

http://www.livestream.com/losiastech...4-c4d584e05332

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
    I was having a z-axis plunge problem
    So is that what the kids are calling it these days...

Seriously though, pretty sweet. Glad to hear you got that worked out. Now you just need to make a mount for your vacuum hose.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV