Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Applying thermal paste & dual-core question

Default Re: Applying thermal paste & dual-core question

wow i've been sig quoted... coool!

anyway a pea sized amount seems to much, i heard rice grain (cooked i think) should do it.

this should help
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    wow i've been sig quoted... coool!

anyway a pea sized amount seems to much, i heard rice grain (cooked i think) should do it.

this should help
    Intersting read (that link)... I'll be sure to redo my As5 at home before Karma goes to her new owner.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post

this should help

Thanks dude +rep

here is the guide for AMD X2's and here is the link in for all processors. You don't use it the same way on all processors - now that is a surprise.

"The example at left shows you an approximate amount to use, about the size of one and a half uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or ¾ of a BB."

I guess 1 1/2 uncooked grains are similar to 1 cooked

tinfoil-underwear

TBCS...
    Moddin'... Computers... Cooking... Thermal Paste...
    You're in TBCS?
    You do realize we're following a guy that's the

VP of Regional Sales for
    Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids

I'm just sayin'...

D'Oh

About the unequal temps on the 2 cores, I'm there too:

I don't know if it bad or not, but I have the same problem.. It may be the paste, the surfaces not being plane enough or maybe it is just.. this way.. Never wondered, but I'll keep an eye out for more info.. My interpretation: one core is always loaded with the OS stuff, the other.. not.

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    I don't know if it bad or not, but I have the same problem.. It may be the paste, the surfaces not being plane enough or maybe it is just.. this way.. Never wondered, but I'll keep an eye out for more info.. My interpretation: one core is always loaded with the OS stuff, the other.. not.
    I think that's partially it but if you look at the OS stuff you can set an affinity for it is usually set to run across both. It might be that some system processes have to run on one core only? Or even that the core "0" is making the decisions as to which core does what?

Interestingly you have the same situation as me: core "0" running a few degrees higher than core "1". Not enough data to support any theories yet but I'd bet this is very common.

When seating a new HSF, wiggle it a little bit before securing the HSF down. It's recommended, but one core being higher than the other isn't uncommon.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

the difrence is temps is becuase the 1st core i on the bottom, the heat has to pass through the second core, therefor meaning the second core shows up hotter than the first, or via versa, im not sure if the first is on the top of bottom.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

D'Oh

the difrence is temps is becuase the 1st core i on the bottom, the heat has to pass through the second core, therefor meaning the second core shows up hotter than the first, or via versa, I'm not sure if the first is on the top of bottom.
    errm.. modern micro technology can't really do that.. every chip made up to now is planar.. it does have interconnections and transistor layered in space, but not 2 on top of each other.. At least, that's what I know So, the cores are side by side, with shared stuff in between or near them.. but planar.. like in the pic:

..which means that if they do have a separate temperature, something is weird.. The cores are very close to each other and in one silicone die.. They should have the same temperature because heat creates a gradient, which would then tend to be equalized by the heat dissipating parts.. Only if there are some really hot "hot spots" on the chips would this weird behavior be explained... or.. I don't know

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|