Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up an SSH Tunnel?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Setting up an SSH Tunnel?

So, like most school districts, ours has Smartfilter DA (Bess Edition), which blocks a lot of stuff we shouldn't be doing at school. That's fine. But it also blocks images.google.com and other image search sites, as well as some legitimate sites and occassionally for stupid reasons. As such, it's become almost an art to circumvent the filters at our school.

Proxy servers are dandy and all but public ones are often overloaded and slow. Tor is always slow, and I can't find a legitimate public SSH tunnel, but then again, why would you want a public one.

Anywho, I got to thinking, "well, my house has a pretty big pipe, I could always run my own SSH server to tunnel out to my house's (unrestricted) connection".

So I want to do this. In windows.

How would I go about setting up, configuring, and connecting to my home SSH tunnel? I have full access to port forwarding on the router and my firewall, and so forth. If anybody could write me up a tutorial or find a good one, that would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and both machines are on Windows XP. so no Linux SSH server guides. Soz.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: Setting up an SSH Tunnel?

You wouldn't really need to do anything except enable a VPN connection on your home server (you need a static IP or a virtual static IP, google how to do that). Then from school, you can just do a VPN to your home PC and it will route your traffic through your home server.

Ok.. I am going to start of by saying, I do NOT condone this. There can be very specific reasons that sites are blocked whether they make sense or not. It could be a matter of bandwidth, liability, and/or security. So that said...

There are some things that you will need to know ahead of time. First thing are outgoing ports blocked at the firewall? If you can not make an outgoing connection on port 22 (or any other port) then you will not be able to tunnel the traffic. Also you will need to be able to load a SSH client. PuTTY will do tunneling and it will run off of a flash drive, IF you have adequate rights on the workstation. VPN is a good solution, but if the machines are limited to where you cannot access the VPN client, AND the VPN port is blocked then again you will not be able to make a connection.

The other option is to build your own proxy, but this is all contigent on what and if they are blocking at the firewall.

It will take me a little time to put some stuff together, but I will get back to you...

Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Cymae View Post
    You wouldn't really need to do anything except enable a VPN connection on your home server (you need a static IP or a virtual static IP, google how to do that). Then from school, you can just do a VPN to your home PC and it will route your traffic through your home server.
    ...as long as they allow VPN traffic out from the school.

What about remote desktop to your home PC? Then you could just surf on your own box, from school.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    ...as long as they allow VPN traffic out from the school.

What about remote desktop to your home PC? Then you could just surf on your own box, from school.
    If you can't VPN chances are you can't remote desktop.

If I were you Omega, I would give up. They do this in Australian schools too, and for the most part, it's fair. Don't abuse the system, and if you need a particular site for your schoolwork, tell your teacher to talk to tech services. If they say no, there's probably a good reason.

Just because YOU do the right thing, doesn't mean others do. Bear in mind these precautions may be set up for others, and you could be setting a bad example by trying to bypass them.

If you can't VPN chances are you can't remote desktop.
    Truth.

Just because YOU do the right thing, doesn't mean others do. Bear in mind these precautions may be set up for others, and you could be setting a bad example by trying to bypass them.
    Also truth.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I'm not even going to bother trying to explain what the situation between our school and the district is. It's so horribly messed up right now.

-I don't want to remote desktop and surf from my computer. I know it's pretty much the same thing but I don't want to tunnel anything other than the internet connection for security reasons. last thing I want is my connection going astray and oh god, my computer and everything on it is done for.

-I already know that they're only filtering port 80 and other http ports. Ran a portscan and the only ones that went through bess.scoe.org were http ports. that and we've used proxies/vpn/ssh/telnet/etc before. In fact, I have a proxy now. It's just proxies are sloooooow and often public, whereas my own SSH server wouldn't be public. There would be like three accounts for it tops.

I remember what we used to do was log in to a server via PuTTy, then set firefox's proxy settings to use 127.0.0.1:80 as a proxy server and it went through the server that PuTTy was talking to and it was awesomely fast. The guy that ran that server's taken it down though (a guy by the name of Robin Davis, he went off to college and doesn't run his server anymore). If anybody knows how to do that, it would be awesome. I'm guessing I'll need some sort of SSH server program for windows for the desktop and obviously PuTTy for the laptop.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I don't know mate. I still don't know if it's a great idea to be honest. But I'm the dissaproving motherly sort

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

The proxy that I use at school is 200.52.42.39 Port 8080. It isn't always on during the early hours in the morning, but it's usually up when I need it. You could also try syphon. I also found a way to use google image search. First, try simply going to googlee.com instead of google.com. If that is blocked, or redirects to google.com, you can take the blocked url, and replace images.google.com/images... with l.google.com/images...
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.