Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new laptop e1705

maximan1

Default Re: My new laptop e1705

Quote Originally Posted by simon275
    I swear you are just asking for it maximan1.
    No not really

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by Aero
    Because there software and hardware is proprietary. Meaning it will only work with Dell computers, also their tech support can barely speak English and only walks you through wizards. They have proprietary software. Also their desktops used to be (and many still are) over priced. They simply forget about repair orders(mine, my friends, my neighbors, my sister's friend...). And did I mention their computers are proprietary?
    Y'know that may have been true at one time, but I think that is becoming less and less the case...I use a USB wireless network "puck" from an old Dell in my Media Center Compaq...works fine. I've switched out DVD Drives, processors, RAM, etc etc. I have always had prompt service...albeit from people with less than perfect English...but when I have to have things fixed or replaced, Dell has always taken care of me. As for overpriced...I can't speak to that...I paid a lot for my Gen 5, but at the time it was cheaper than everything else comparable...everything. And with online coupons...which no one ever seems to use, I got another 20% off instantly. The software may be proprietary, but almost every major manufacturer does the same thing...so that hardly seems a legitimate comment. I use my Dell Hardware in other computers all the time...the only thing proprietary now are the motherboards and cases...and if that's your gripe then I don't think anyone can help you...except you...MOD TIME!

Rankenphile

Quote Originally Posted by maximan1
    No not really

Yes, really. Goodbye.

Sorry, guys. He won't be a problem any more. Please continue your conversation.

As someone who works with Dells all the time, mostly the workstations, (about 10 a week), I am quite happy with them. The only "proprietary" thing about them is the mobo and case design. All other parts are swappable with COTS parts. You can even put a different mobo in most of thier systems, but the cooling stuff will not line up.

They are in no way like Compaq systems used to be. In the older compaq models, you could NOT replace the floppy with the $5 fry's version, instead you had to buy the $130 compaq version.

I have also found that thier service is better than most, even if you have to speak with someone in india. They are prompt, knowledgeable (unless you have a REALLY odd problem), and generous with their parts replacement.

Oh and when we were buying the refurb models (because the company we reconfigure and sell to absolutly needed a particular model that was EOL'd by dell), they routinely shipped MORE parts in the computer than we needed. Example: we order a model with x proc, 1 160gb drive and 4gb memory, onboard sound, they would send us a system with all our specs and then would include a soundblaster audigy 2 card, multiple disk drives, firewire cards, a cd R/W, a dvd R/W and even though we ordered them without graphics cards (we install the nvidia quadro 4500), they would send us one anyway. Sometimes it would be a quadro (since these are workstations) and once in a while we would get an entry level card.

My opinion (just like asses, everybody has one and they ALL stink): Dells have been berry good to me!

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo
    They are in no way like Compaq systems used to be. In the older compaq models, you could NOT replace the floppy with the $5 fry's version, instead you had to buy the $130 compaq version.
    And even Compaqs now (since the HP buyout) have been getting better. I think that there are lingering myths about things that just kind of perpetuate themselves down through the years...

Dell computers are easy to pick on...they're #1. Same with Windows, and WalMart, Coca Cola, etc. The truth is where would we be without Dell...$5000.00 Celeron computers that's where...they helped drive the prices down so that people without a lot of cash (the junior folks here 14-17 years) can actually go out and buy components without too much difficulty. Half the members of this site wouldn't be able to buy whole systems, much less the parts, if Dell hadn't decided to undercut the rest of the market.

Back in the mid 80's computers were $35,000 dollars for a workstation computer...who would have the money for that now? Who would risk that money "modding" it...and before I get a whole bunch of "I WOULD's" how many people here have spent $35,000 bucks? That's not a toy...it's an investment...

The hardware that gets tossed into machines now by kids is 1000 times better than the stuff I used in the 80's and 90's and it's due in large part to the market opening up after Dell decided to make their machines cheap...in fact Dell is actually willing to lose money on their home computers because they make their cash in business sales...be thankful they don't decide to cut the home user off altogether...

Just throwing my 2 cents back into the forum collection bin...

Overclocked

tennysol, you made many valid points. I was one of the people who turn their nose up at dell, or any other large computer producing company. While desktops may be much better built from scratch at home, laptops aren't assembled that way. If it were possible for me to build one and it be as good as the one I have, and not cost any more than what I paid, I'd probably build my own. Alas, I must depend on the big companies for laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by .jrauck
    I love dell, my uncle bought a dell desktop and they sent him an extra lcd monitor so he gave it to me My brothers friends dell computer got struck by lightening and they gave him another one. Also for whoever said that their customer service cant hardly speak english, sorry to say... almso no companies can, since they send your calls to india and any other place they can pay their employers a penny each day.
    haha tech support cartoon
    My Rig: Silverstonetek TJ07 Black case (4 akasa 120mm amber, 2 akasa 92mm blue)
    ASUS M2N32-SLI nForce 5 / AMD AM2 4800 X2 / XFX 7950GX2 Xtreme 520Mhz
    X-Fi Xtreme Music / 2Gb Corsair, DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 / 150GB WD Raptor
    400GB Barracuda / LiteON 16x DVD+/-RW / Sony DVD Rom 48xCD

This system is protected by Norton IS 2006; The only security suite with a hideous yellow taskbar.
    ¬_¬