Thread: LED questions??

Fresh Paint

Default LED questions??

Ok I'm new to modding but I have been lurking around here for some time now and I finally got a case so I can play with it and I have some ideas and questions.

My little brother gave me a case similar to this one http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...1905_187007256 but an older model. My first problemis the blue leds on the front sides don't light up any more he said he tried to fix them but gave up because he wasn't worried about it. Well tonight I tried everything I know to try to get them to light up and got nothing. So I completly removed them from the case to try and figure out why there not working. So here's my questions How do I test these leds? What do I hook them up tp to see if they work or if there blown? Is there a way to tell if there blown? I think he replaced the resistor how do I know what size resistor to get if he used the wrong one?

Nick

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

Default Re: LED questions??

get a 3volt batery and plug the LEDs in it whit out the resistor, to see if the LED works , if it does then the resistor is to big if not....... you get my point

LOUD AND PROUD !

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by GT40_GearHead
    get a 3volt batery and plug the LEDs in it whit out the resistor, to see if the LED works , if it does then the resistor is to big if not....... you get my point
    This might be a stuipd question but where do I get a 3volt battery??

Nick

Razors Edge

i think a D batterie is 3 volts....not sure

3volts would be most likely a button or watch battery or just 2 normal batteries
    AA, AAA, C, and D. are all 1.5 volts.

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the replies guys! I not that great at eletronics but I work at a metal shop so the fabrication is real easy, but I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out!

Nick

Anodized

Also if you have an electronic multimeter you can switch it ovetr to the diode setting and check it that way - if there is a reading over 0 its good, if not - its dead.

My multimeter has an LED tester built in. If you don't have a multimeter, go get one at Wal-mart and make sure it has one. You will use it for all types of things. Once I figure out what I can use mine for (I mainly/only use it as a continuity tester), I'll use it a lot more.

Fresh Paint

Ok I ended up setting up a testing jig with two AA battries and found out that they all are blown. I ended up finding an led that I knew was good and testing it the same way and it lite right up. So I'll be getting some new leds here soon and wireing them up! Thanks for all the helpfull info!

Nox I have a Craftsman Auto-Ranging MultiMeter #82139 it has a ton of settings which I know nothing about! How is the Diode setting useally depicted?

Nick