Thread: windows xp

Default windows xp

i get this error on my pc when i try to open programs or properties or system restore .

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder Options in control panel."

Any ideas

Default Re: windows xp

finally got dr watson to run i found 2 application errors
    C:windows\explorer.exe c0000005 ntdll!Rt AllocateHeap(7C9106C3)
    Crogram Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe c0000005 ,<nosymbols>(62EF4D70)

Crikey, that's a new one...sounds like there's a problem executing programs, don't know how the hell to fix that. Sorry.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

If possible, try a reinstall, that is the first thing that comes to mind. If no possible... well... look on the Microsoft site.

Water Cooled

Have you scanned your machine for viruses?
    When did it start happeneing?
    does it happen in safe mode?

All of those things are .msc files.

Go into your registry with regedt32
    Then do a search(f3) for .msc
    It should be under hklm->software->classes->.msc

Mine reads

(default) REG_SZ MSCFile

See if yours does too.

Or if you're completely confused by what I just said, say so and I'll write you a little step by step guide.

Anodized

finally someone with the same error I got years back... my problem was perhaps ignited by my motherboard drivers that went berserk when my motherboard opted out. I never succeeded in solving the problem without switching hardware.

I know this sounds unlikely, but changing motherboard fixed pretty much everything, without a reinstall of windows (i was pretty impressed, although I did a clean install anyways) so the registry wasn't screwed, at least not beyond repair.

Good luck to you though.
    A couple of questions: Do all executables behave the same? ie can you start other programs than .mcs ones? Have you checked BIOS for anything strange, including the battery?

My problem was that all executables had lost their association, which meant no way of starting anything, including explorer, regedit, etc.

I tried WINE from a knoppix liveCD you can possible to some diagnostics from there. Thats how I found out my motherboard didn't want to be part of my set anymore.

hope things turn out for the best.
    -.erik
    These go to eleven. -- Nigel, This is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by hellboy
    i get this error on my pc when i try to open programs or properties or system restore .

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder Options in control panel."

Any ideas
    Easy fix, open a folder [NOT CONTROL PANEL], click View>Folder Options>Folder Options>go the the filetype that has no association, press edit, click open then edit, and browse to the program required. If theres no 'open', click new, name 'open' then browse to the program required. But in your case, it sounds like a format is around the corner. Try the above first, if it fails, get your Windows XP disc out...

Rather than reinstalling, try to do a repair first. This can be a little faster, and can sometimes fix problems like this. When starting up the install from the CD, you'll see an options for "repair an existing install". It never hurts to try, but as always, make sure you have a backup first.

Of course, a format/reinstall will guarantee success, but then you have to patch it all up again, restore your backups, etc etc.

The faster the better right?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Overclocked

if my memory holds true the process the repair goes through is that it goes the the installation process but checks to see if the file is there, if it is then it compares the two for differances and if there are any then it replaces it... other than that it just blows through the whole OS
    EPYK : very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary

lots of mod tutorials