Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast

Thread: Project - Air Cube v2

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project - Air Cube v2

That looks AMAZING!!! The blue shelves go beautifully with the polished vertical bars and the plexi shelves allow you to see everything, superb work . +rep

*EDIT*
    I need to spread some around first .
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Thanks Jase, yeah it was as good as I visioned it to be & even a little better , I'm quite chuffed with the stack , to be honest my room needs a make over now as the stack looks too good in my room lol .

Update time .

Skip to the pictures if you're not interested in the details on what's been done .

1200mm high
    400mm wide
    380mm deep

Weight air cube v2 empty ??? very light but won't be known until I upgrade to a i7 or amd hex core rig or given the speed of new tech these days & my money flow being slow & low maybe something far more awesome once I have enough.
    Weight air cube v2 fully loaded ? I'll update soon
    weight empty stack ? I'll update soon
    weight fully loaded stack ? I'll update soon, it'll be heavy

Since last time where I got the main basic structure done, I have been busy getting the trim supports made.

The front & back of level 2 & 3 I put 1/8" polished angle bars for a support for the various sized flat bars to stop dvd's falling out, I gave the flat bars a simple brushed finish, also put 9mm x 6mm flat bars for a dvd stop & psu slot, put a flat bar with switch mounting holes for turning ps3 fans or xbox fans on/off, upper 1 is for the ps3, lower is for xbox. All the extra trims are put on with araldite rapid steel adhesive, very very strong 2 part adhesive.

Cut solid square aluminium bars to the size of the ps3 with extra for a slope on both sides, cut angles & super glued them perfectly aligned to the ps3 base to keep it easy for putting it on the level how I wanted it, this doesn't void the warranty btw as I can easily remove the bars if needed , so the ps3 has very good ventalation now above & below so the side vents should be able to take new air in, much better than just having it on my desk, I no longer have to worry about it having a melt down so now I can get really stuck into red dead redemption .

I was thinking of cutting solid square bars to size to put in the corners of each level to give even more support but I'm not sure it needs it to be honest, it's very rigid all over, I'll have to think about this.

The braiding could have been done better, I'm a n00b at braiding, but I'm ok with the result, they're out of sight , the psu wires are folded over & over & wrapped with cellotape to keep them in a compact bunch with a paper clip in the green & black pins to run the fans, the switch cables I chose the lazy route & bought 2 off ebay, 900mm long though so just folded the cable to the length I wanted & wrapped tape around them so no cables interfering with the games/dvd's area, hmmm nintendo wii in the bottom space, hmmm probably not, currently or planned to play games/films, ohhhhh yeah .

The xbox wouldn't fit into the level, so it was either refabricate the top piece or cut the rear off so I could slide the top on, I cut the rear off for the time being, after the amount of space left over with the air cube & wanted it all to be a good fit, must be less than 1mm spare above it, the missing rear piece can only be seen from behind so I can live with that.

One problem I've come up against is the floor in my room where I want to have the cpce (Console PC Entertainment) is not flat so I'm going to cut a wooden piece to size, put something underneath the wood at the front so it makes a level surface to keep it on, need to do this asap as it's a bit like the leaning tower of pisa, keep expecting it to collapse all of a sudden, so yeah I need to do this asap .

This stack project was something I was not very sure about, mostly needed something to keep me busy for a while & was a bit of a spare of the moment kind of design, but man am I glad I went for it , I mean I'm sat here & I look to my side & I'm surprised it's me that made it lol .

There will hopefully be another update with quality outdoor daylight pictures once I've sanded the front grills to a nice finish & repainted, it'll need it since it'll be taken back down to bare metal, then I believe I can call it a 100% finished for sure this time woohoo .

With it being summer & I like to keep a good overclock with nice temps the quiet small fans have a hard time keeping things really cool, so just for summer warm spells I will use a desktop fan on the lowest setting with the top & sides off, the results are better than peak winter & temps barely rise when gaming & pushing the pc hard.

OK I think I've covered everything about what got me from my last update to now so I'll shut the hell up & show a pile of pictures in it's 99% complete state, enjoy .

Wow, took about 4 hours to do this post lol .

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Dude. That is absolutely beautiful work. +Rep for sure, love it!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

sweet tower you've got there

Now that is an awesome rack and a really nice setup, not to mention a nice OC . I like your Sennheiser's also, I have the same pair, the HD595's are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post

Dude. That is absolutely beautiful work. +Rep for sure, love it!
    Thank you blue, appreciate the feedback .

Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    sweet tower you've got there
    Thank you Storm, me thinks so too .

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Now that is an awesome rack and a really nice setup, not to mention a nice OC . I like your Sennheiser's also, I have the same pair, the HD595's are awesome.
    Thanks again Jase, really makes a good difference knowing other modders have been following this, and yeah the 595's are awesome for gaming, I have it set for stereo but it's like surround sound, on games like left 4 dead I can pinpoint where enemies are, forget those gimmicky surround nasty headphones, the 595's rock for gaming/music/movies .

Final update .

Took some new pictures earlier today, the yellow light was nasty I think you all would agree .

Now, back to my unlevel floor, I just took some scrap ply wood, placed the cpce on top of it, marked around the edges, got busy with the saw, filed the corners round & edges smooth, took it back to see how bad the unlevel floor was, was off by near 10mm, so I had these furniture slide pads & placed 1 underneath the front of the board, not quite, tried doulbling them up, spot on, luckily I have a bunch of others at a smaller diameter so I stuck them to it & thats my floor sorted, it stayed fine all the way to the top of the air cube, phew .

This shot shows how close the top of the xbox is to the next level, I'd say 1mm spare, talk about cutting it fine lol.

And so, the rest of the pictures are just to show it off in natural light .

Back to the weight of this thing.

Air cube v2 fully loaded = 42 lbs
    Stack with psu & fans = 27.4 lbs
    Xbox 360 = 8.4 lbs
    PS3 = 8.4 lbs
    Total = 86.2 lbs without dvd's/games

And thats it, I've decided not to sand the front grills to a perfect finish which I know I could given an extra couple of days, but if I wanted it 100% perfect I would have had it done by a machine for me, I don't want or need to compete with a lifeless machine lol, I like the fact it is a little rough here & there, keeps it completely unique . I'm leaving the slightly rustic cuts so it remains an average joe made piece.

So thanks for showing an interest in this project & peace out & mod on all until my next unplanned mod , I definately had an all you can eat buffet of modding for the time being, I'm absolutely stuffed lol .

You really have done an awesome job, everything compliments each other beautifully and the design is truly unique. A beautifully executed and design project, very nicely done.

Thank you Jase , now, how long will I be able to read other worklogs without getting the urge to mod again lol, time will tell .