Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for Painting Selective parts of cases

Default Re: Tips for Painting Selective parts of cases

The case has a matte black coat but the HAF logo is in gloss black. Although I plan to use red and not black against the matte black on my case, I was aiming to have that look where you can tell that theres paint on top of the base coat but the edges aren't rough. Is there some tool i can use to remove that rough edge after i paint it perhaps?

If you don't sand through the original finish of the case you don't need primer. Primer is a bonding agent for bare metal. The 600 grit will provide plenty of "tooth" for the paint to adhere to. As far as the rough edge if you paint in very light coats you should get very little edge. Apply just enough paint to get the color you're after. I'd also suggest doing a test panel to practice on, the way you can try a couple of different ways of spraying and find the finish you're happy with.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

I do not have a test panel to work with.

I am mostly done with sanding it, but the edges right next to the tape still is not as sanded, theres about a little under a mm thats still the same finish as the rest of the case and I do not think the paint will stick there. Will it be ok? or will it chip off later and ruin the design?

I could not find any fine-line tape at the ace hardware near my apartment so im sticking with the masking tape.

Check out http://www.tcpglobal.com/ for fineline tape. You could bury the paint in some clear to hide the edges a bit. Build up the clear, and then sand it smooth. Also, you won't have to prime your mask. Just sand lightly, and spray.