Thread: Gaming PC questions

Question Gaming PC questions

Hey everybody, I'm getting close to being done with my Gaming pc build. Hopefully this Friday i will be able to order my motherboard, and my Processor. So hopefully by the end of next week i will be ready to boot up after getting some RAM and an OS. With that brings on my questions. First I need to know what the better choice is for an OS Vista 32-bit or 64-bit? I will list my specs at the bottom of the page, but it will be 64-bit compatible. I also need to know about Raid setups, because i already have one hard drive but its not as big as i want and I had just gotten impatient and ordered this one, WD 36GB Raptor, but what i have my eye on is a WD Raptor X 150GB. So I would like to know is it relatively easy to setup with the 36GB and add the second and then make that the main? Or would it be in my best interest to wait on the larger drive? Thats really the only thing holding me up now any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and keep in mind this is going to be nothing more than my gaming pc nothing other than games or gaming related. So not alot of other programs needed to clutter it up. Thanks everybody.

System Build:
    Asus Striker Extreme MB (ordering soon)
    Intel Q6600 Processor (ordering soon)
    XFX GeForce 9600GT 512MB XXX Edition 700Mhz (one so far)
    Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA HDD
    Kingwin 600 watt SLI ready PSU
    CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Mid-tower
    Samsung DVD/CD-RW 20x Lightscribe, SATA
    Asus 20x/48x DVD/CD-ROM, SATA

Default Re: Gaming PC questions

Depends on how much RAM you are going to be using <3GBs 32 bit will work fine. If you want to be able to utilize >3.45GBs then you need 64-bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

trace got the os stuff, but also keep in mind if you want to do any video card overclocking it will be harder. i have thex64 bit vista and i can't use any of the normal programs i use for overclocking.

as for the raid i believe both or how ever many drives you use have to be the same. so i don't think you will get any raid with that. but what i would do is install your os on the 36GB hdd. then do all the games and other apps on the 150 if you get it.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Mate,

My vote is for the 64bit, while some programs have issues with it (they will work themselves out in the future) - it uses the high amounts of RAM available (as Trace said) but it also utilises the quad core function of the CPU. If you want the max performance out of the hardware go 64bit, just do your research with your games (if they will run on it)

ATX Mental Case

The OS stuff is pretty much a question of how much RAM you want. Also, keep in mind that some games don't like 64-bit machines.. same with some hardware drivers and that kind of stuff. 32-bit is more stable, but 64-bit is the way of the future.

What type of RAID did you want to implement? In case you didn't know it is not recommended to RAID hard drives that aren't completely identical.
    Thermaltake 500W
    Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS 680i
    Core 2 Duo E6550
    2gb Patriot DDR2 800
    XFX 8800GT
    WD 120g

Is awesome

Another option would be to have xp for usability on one partition, then Vista64 for games on another partition for games only. You might even be able to have a shared storage drive.
    You love my sig.