Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fried CPU or Need better PSU?

How much faster can you render the bsod? Ap1thy's Avatar

Default Re: Fried CPU or Need better PSU?

yea, due to the oc, the protection crap probbably failed to work in time, and the cpu core got damaged

Its no big deal really, I mean it is, but it gives me an excuse to upgrade :p

I'll drop the cpu in another rig and get a new quad core when the come out. This cpu crashes probably once a day playing games and intensive things. Nothing to worry about for a basic rig, but during an intense gaming session, or it ruining my Modder's contest entry sucks and is something that will not be tolerated on my good rig. Ehh...

How much faster can you render the bsod? Ap1thy's Avatar

there might just be a way to disable the one core so it doesnt crash on the other computer. if you want to pick up a cheap dual core, the e4500 isnt a bad deal and it supposedly a decent oc'er

ATX Mental Case

Can't disable one core on a processor. The core 2s are native dual core. which means the processors share a die. They share basically everything and are very much linked. Its really odd that the only error comes from core0... Like I said before, any sort of overheating wouldn't just damage one core since they're both on the same die.

The error might be the first core simply because that is the first one to be fully loaded. The processor probably only fails when fully taxed for some reason.
    Thermaltake 500W
    Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS 680i
    Core 2 Duo E6550
    2gb Patriot DDR2 800
    XFX 8800GT
    WD 120g

Thanks for reminding me about this lol. Time to get off my lazy behind.

Ya see thats why I was confused. I couldn't see a reason for it to act like that as I ran it orthos stable for days at the same clocks same everything. BIOS has been reading a temp of 23C for CPU, the board is reading 40c-ish even with the Northbridge block. Not sure where it measures the temp from though. I still have to work on a fan holder for another spot in the case.

It may have been the board not getting the memory enough voltage, as i just went through and checked everything after being lazy and just dealing with it. The voltage was set to auto, which could be the issue. Set voltage to 2.1v now and reduced clocks down to 2.8Ghz.

So far running stable in Orthos for 5min as I am typing this.

FSB 400
    Ram 400 (800)
    Cpu 2.8 (400x7)

so ram is back at stock settings and voltage increased. Ill see if this is the issue. Maybe its not the cpu afterall. I did get lazy after it seemed stable the first time on auto and didn't go back and clean it all up with manual settings. Maybe its the issue. Ill post back later on the issue.

Now I feel like I completely overreacted. Its been running Orthos stable on both cores for over 3 hours now. The longest I got after I started having issues was ~10min.

I'm starting to think it wasn't an issue with the cpu, that was just how the error was reporting. I'm thinking it was an issue with the ram not getting enough voltage. When I booted into bios before I changed the settings, it was stating there was a warning on the memory voltage. So now Im thinking auto just wasn't giving it as much voltage as it was before (when it was running correctly).

What bugs me is that it wasn't happening on the memory only tests. Maybe i just didn't run them long enough. But on the cpu only tests it failed. Maybe the cpu was sucking up a lot of voltage and auto just wasn't giving the memory the little bit that was needed for even that test.

Idk, so far so good though. When I get some time I will go back and bump everything back up and set manually instead of being lazy and going with auto.

If this is just an auto issue, 1) I feel like a noob 2) I remember now why I always used to do everything manually 3) I will not tell myself, "hey this board does a great job on voltages on auto" on another board, as I will simply do it myself like always(minus this one time ).

Ill tell you guys how it goes

I always have my voltages on manual (even if the motherboard says I'm doing it wrong)... the auto setting is not great, and can get things wrong.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I always do as well. I wanted to try out how this board handled them. That seems like that may have been the issue as Orthos ran for have a day and not a single issue.

Gaming and such had no restarts either.

I can't believe I got caught up with the whole ehh its running I won't worry about it as im to lazy deal. I tend to not do that and looks like that was my issue.

So so far so good.

ATX Mental Case

It seems like manually setting the voltage fixed your problem. Keep monitoring if for a few days. I was thinking if it is voltage maybe the PSU is fluctuating, but now that doesn't seem the case.
    Thermaltake 500W
    Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS 680i
    Core 2 Duo E6550
    2gb Patriot DDR2 800
    XFX 8800GT
    WD 120g

Ya, I'm going to keep an eye on it. That's what I get for being lazy.

I don't think it was the power supply as the one I have is pretty beefy. It could even have been vdroop as the board was set on auto too, so not only may the cpu have had low voltage...add vdroop to the mix and it may not have liked that too much. That has been ammended by setting to the upper end of the stock range of the cpu.

I'll keep an eye out, but so far its two days without any hiccups.

I might just keep the cpu clocks a bit lower than what I had originally and work on getting my ram to 4-4-4-12. Shouldn't be hard as they can do it at 2.1v according to the manufacturer.

This is what I get for trying out the "set it and forget it" method of just bumping up the FSB. Time to go back to perfection mode and work out the most stable and coolest configuration. No more lazy crap for me