Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast

Thread: The Riddle Thread

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: The Riddle Thread

Did the peasant ask the king to show all the cards in the hat after he drew one? Then if the king said no, then the peasant would say "why not?" or something and another. If the king didn't show all the cards, then he would seem fishy and maybe people would demand it or something.

Warmer? Colder?

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Fastest. Growing. Thread. EVER.
    I knew it would be. Who doesn't like riddles? Or at least, who on this website wouldn't like a good riddle? We have so many smart people here, it was a sure win! :p

...on a side note. In the Adult Swim Ad to the side of the page, the one that is all static screen looking, is there something there or is it just me? Like one of those pictures you get really close to, then slowly pull away to reveal a picture. Idk, I can just see lines, and they almost look like they form a picture or something...

Hmmm, I can even imagine seeing words now.. maybe not like full actual words, but a collective of hidden lettering or something. Subliminal messaging?? or maybe I just need to go to sleep... lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Does that mean you all give up on the partial price riddle?

BTW- The chem riddle and the glass arrangement riddle remain unsloved as well.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Does that mean you all give up on the partial price riddle?
    So I take it then that it has nothing to do with gasoline or sales? Is the answer an actual fact or no?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

nope, not related to gas or sales. The answer is indeed a fact.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcat View Post
    The guy reaches into the hat, pulls out a piece of paper, and says aloud, "I choose the other piece of paper still in the hat", and since this one (he then opens the one he grabbed) says DEATH, that one must say marriage so I am free to marry your daughter.

The answer to the other mystery riddle is "light", or more specifically "sunlight"...

I turn polar bears white (polar bear fur is actually transparent but trapped light makes it look white)

and I will make you cry. (John Denver - sunshine in my eyes can make me cry)

I make guys have to pee (first thing in the morning)

and girls comb their hair. (again, getting ready in the morning)

I make celebrities look stupid (bad lighting)

and normal people look like celebrities. (good lighting)

I turn pancakes brown (you cook them in the morning when it gets light)

and make your champagne bubble. (it bubbles when you open it - or light hits the champagne)

If you squeeze me, I'll pop. (no idea)

If you look at me, you'll pop. (no idea)

Can you guess the riddle?

CORRECT!!!Thats a classic

ha I said light in post #32 but chucked it because it didn't explain the last two.

nope, not related to gas or sales. The answer is indeed a fact.
    shenanigans! lol

ha I said light in post #32 but chucked it because it didn't explain the last two.
    I think I can explain the last one, at least. The second to last I have no idea either.

Okay, to explain the last one you have to do only one thing. Comprehend all of time.

Make sense now? I tried comprehending the vastness of space, I eventually "popped" and gave up.

...unless Ironcat is right, and the answer is light. Then I have no idea.

The time has come,
    winter is here
    and those yellow bears disappear.
    (I turn polar bears white )

^^When the Winter comes, the light appears. Time is what causes winter to come, I guess is what they are saying. So when it becomes winter, the light comes, which makes them white. ...I always thought the light went away in winter tho, so wouldn't that turn them yellow and not white? or maybe polar bears are born yellow, but then become white? idk.

The time has past
    as man looks back with a sigh
    and a tear in his eye.
    (and I will make you cry.)

^^When you become old, you miss your youth? Which is a direct effect of time? Maybe? or maybe its just that you miss "the good old days", old being a description of time.

As time is held
    boys cross their legs
    but of course the toilet begs
    (I make guys have to pee)

^^As time goes on, you have to pee more and more? Ever try holding it I guess? It just gets worse and worse. If time didn't exist, would we still pee? Would we even need to?

As time marches on
    Girls loose their blush
    and swap a comb for their brush
    (and girls comb their hair.)

^^I'm going with Ironcat on this one, after they wake up, they get ready. When do they wake up? In the morning. Thats how we measure time after all, by the sky and its features and effects on our world.

As time passes
    For those held high
    their end is nigh
    (I make celebrities look stupid )

^^Brittney was all that and a bag of chips, now shes ridiculed constantly. It didn't happen all at the same time, it happened over time.

As time catches up
    Everyone is equal
    when we get to the final sequel
    (and normal people look like celebrities.)

^^Throughout time, people have proven to be worth mentioning, like a hero. which I guess you can say a person who did something heroic and brave is a celebrity of a different kind. or it could be that, when all is said and done, and when we start to become old, we are all equal. The grim reaper sees no difference in one person over the other.

As time turns
    Without it we have flour and water
    With it we have breakfast for my daughter
    (I turn pancakes brown )

^^Cook for 3 minutes, flip and repeat. Minutes being another measurement of time.

As time revolves
    How does one turn water and wine
    into something so fine
    (and make your champagne bubble.)

^^when wine ferments, it creates gas (ever heard of a bung hole?). I'll assume that champagne is the same... or something.

As time runs out
    The more in a minute you try and squeeze
    the less you can do with ease.
    (If you squeeze me, I'll pop. )

^^okay, I have no idea at all. I was thinking like a person panics as time runs out.. but its saying if you squeeze ME, me being time. or light. idk. so confusing...

As time ticks
    All the time that has past
    man cannot comprehend something so vast.
    (If you look at me, you'll pop. )

^^Try and comprehend time, you'll pop.

Okay, thats my sad attempt on trying to make sense of this riddle...

you call shenanigans on me? better be able to prove it!

.99 in stead of 1.00 made cashiers open the till to fork out the penny save 'pocketing' the whole bill/note and stealing from their employers?
    Last edited by Needsleep; 12-18-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: i hate when i type teh instead of the! :o)

correct. The original cash machines were designed to allow the store owner to perform other tasks while not having to watch his hired help. It had two built in features, it recorded each transaction, and made the signature "ku-ching" when the drawer opened. A store owner was encouraged to make certain each transaction made it necessary for the clerk to provide as much change as possible so he could not afford to run the till from his pocket. This developed into a tradition and I'm willing to bet you that modern retailers don't even know why they set prices that way but.