Thread: Red Lcd?

Fresh Paint

Default Red Lcd?

I am looking for a LCD for the front of my case and would like for it to have red text. I found this one,, however I would like to know if some one recommend a better one, for a generally small budget build.

Default Re: Red Lcd?

If wire it yourself you can find a much larger selection of screens. Just put HD44780 int ebay and you will find some
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

How hard are those to wire up and use. Those are wicked cheap on ebay. Damn. Those would be mighty useful.

I would think power would be easy. How do you get it to interface with a pc? Guess I have some researching to do but damn, some as low as like $4. Damn.

Not too bad. Here is a pretty decent article that explains with a wiring diagram...
    http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/Se...ticle258.shtml
    Thats for a parallel port, if you want serial or USB it gets a little more complicated. (IE. You will need a PIC programmer and some parts.)
    I guess GideonTech is gone now, but they had a really good wiring diagram as well.

For software LCDSmartie will work as well as a few others.

Also I have seen several instances where the display was put behind red film or plexy and they look great, so you might keep that in mind when purchasing.

Good luck, and cant wait to see how it comes out.

EDIT: I found a copy a kept of the parallel port wiring diagram and here it is..

I have a small 16x2 one and I can tell you that the hardestpart of it is finding out which wire is which in the parallel cable!
    While we're on the subject does anyone know of good software to run these under linux?
    I used LCDsmartie under windows but never got around to figuring it out with linux
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    If wire it yourself you can find a much larger selection of screens. Just put HD44780 int ebay and you will find some
    I'm a general Novice to modding, but have built many computers, and do repairs etc. Should I be able to easily figure out how to hook up the LCD, and will it require anything additional to function?

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

You could just get a plain white one and put some red plexi in front of it, that's what it looks like you have done in your mod sketches anyway lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08