Thread: Zune Modding

Anodized

Default Zune Modding

I saw the post about the 30GB Zune that is brown and it made me realize that I do need a new mp3 player soon. I am sharing an old beat up 20GB ipod (non color) with my GF. I think it is like 2nd Gen or something.

Anyway, I heard about the new lineup of Zunes coming out and I would rather adopt one of the new lineup Zunes than the current ones out. Yes I am like that, and yes I realize MS makes the zunes.

Anyway, my GF and I both have a lot of music and as much as I want one of the new flash Zunes I would rather have the space. So we are both going to buy the 80GB black Zunes. Black is the only color that is going to be released for the 80GB. So I don't want the exact same color as my GF so my questions is to you all..

Do you think it would be easy to mod the case of the Zune? I was thinking of just making it a straight new color like deep red or something but then I thought why stop there. I could create some kind of design on it if I like. I have not modded anything really but some simple PC mods so it would be a big undertaking for me.

If anyone has any links or tips then let me know because I would enjoy the feedback.

Default Re: Zune Modding

You could always put a skin on it.

Places like DecalGirl do them.

I've never taken my Zune apart (but I've thought about modding it) and I don't know about the cases of the new Zunes, but it's probably doable.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by Fear.Sin View Post
    and yes I realize MS makes the zunes.
    while i don't like either mp3 player i would much rather have the zune of that POS ipod.

as for painting it i don't see why not with the proper prep work it should go great, start a log with pics!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Anodized

Once I receive the Zune I will take a look at it and see if I want to attempt it. If I do it, I will definitely start a worklog .

It doesn't ship until November 13 so a couple weeks away.

I thought about skins, but for some reason I just dont like the idea of putting one on. I am trying to think of why I don't. Maybe because it is not permanent?

Thanks for the input. Once I get the Zune, I will keep you posted.