Thread: A little advice about DVDs and LEDs.

Fresh Paint

Default A little advice about DVDs and LEDs.

Well, I thought it'd be cool to put high powered LEDs inside my three DVD-RWs, so that when I open one it spews out some bright light power, but I'm really not 100% sure how to do it... In fact I really have no idea how I'd do it.

If anyone has done this, (or tried to do it) or perhaps know of a site which can help me, I'd love to hear from you.

Default Re: A little advice about DVDs and LEDs.

i wouldnt claim to be an expert at this kind of thig but id say it would be easiest to find somewhere on the drive's pcb where you can get 5v or 12v and wire your leds into that.
    youll probably have do do a bit of searching on your own pcb to find a place because theyre all different.
    But do you get the general idea?

Greco101

Default Re: A little advice about DVDs and LEDs.

I'd start off by opening up a drive to see where you could actually mount the leds where they wouldn't be in the way of any moving parts. Build a small bracket or possibly just drill some holes on top but then the wiring would be external. Then solder 'em up.

You should be able to use the open/close button as an on/off for the leds couldn't you?