Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watercooling with All Copper Piping?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Watercooling with All Copper Piping?

lol I feel like such an idiot sometimes. I was thinking of flux, not solder. I really don't know why I thought solder was flux, even right now I still want to say solder and flux are the same thing. lol oh well, we can't all be smart. ^_^
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Flux is the acid that is used when soldering pipes or electronics. It's an acid that etches and cleans the metal parts creating a rough surface on a microscopic level that the solder material can stick to.

On copper tubing for watercooling:

-Pipes should be insulated if you plan on doing any sort of evap cooling. They will sweat and cause shorts.
    -Solid pipes also make it VERY difficult to manuever parts into place. Some sort of combination of solid pipe and flexible hose would be ideal.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 03-13-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

i remember posting something similar to this
    just skip the radiator altogether
    weld/solder copper fins or spines around the piping, making a heatsink built into the tubing
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Life is like an analogy...

all this talk about soldering. i have an idea.

instead of using regular old lead solder, use silver solder. you can buy it from jewelry stores. it would be much more thermally conductive, and it holds better too. the only trick is that silver solder melts at a much higher temperature than lead. the copper almost gets red hot. its a big plus for heat conducting though in my mind, especially if you go with an idea like putting fins right on the pipes themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy View Post
    all this talk about soldering. i have an idea.

instead of using regular old lead solder, use silver solder. you can buy it from jewelry stores. it would be much more thermally conductive, and it holds better too. the only trick is that silver solder melts at a much higher temperature than lead. the copper almost gets red hot. its a big plus for heat conducting though in my mind, especially if you go with an idea like putting fins right on the pipes themselves.
    thats what i would do since i have access to that stuff for free, but you would need acetylene gas. propane doesn't burn hot enough. you can melt a stick of silver solder but there just isn't enough heat for the pipe and solder at once.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I saw a case mod on a site while looking for information on changing a bus to a camper. here's the link on how he did it. Looks pretty sound. But i haven't actually been back to the site in a group.

http://www.vonslatt.com/proj-cc.shtml

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    here is apicture of how it works.
    I would suggest a separate enclosure for the water and collection area with a pump with a fill lever indicator ie. a Return pump that turns on with a Styrofoam bobber. You would have to keep it submersed obviously. Then you can have a sealed reservoir off to the side I would make a tank add some pressure then there would never be a air bubble.

A bleeder valve would also help alot of you get the air out.

Overclocked

one of my favs. there should be a worklog that goes along with it too.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi