Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I broke my addictions....

Default I broke my addictions....

I havent had caffeine for 6 weeks!!!!!

And I havent played WoW for 3.5 weeks.

It's not easy, but I tell ya, I'm sleeping better, I'm not worrying about getting to 60 (or 70 ), and I have more money. Energy drinks are expensive.

On the downside, I'm not nearly as good at guitar hero as I was when I was loaded up on RedBull and twitching. Hahah

I've also started using an elliptical trainer for a couple km a day.. trying to get rid of a few extra pounds.

Anyone else here trying to make some major lifestyle changes? For whatever reason?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

tinfoil-underwear

Default Re: I broke my addictions....

Congratulations man!!!

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.
    -- Jewish Proverb
    You're in TBCS?
    You do realize we're following a guy that's the

VP of Regional Sales for
    Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids

I'm just sayin'...

Congratulations, I've lost 55 lbs in the last 9 months, stopped eating fast food and fried foods, I stared using the treadmill and lifting weights. I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago. and I limit myself to 1 pop a day if that.

and boy did I feel better, that was untill I was diagnosed with chrons disease.

Sorry to hear about that! Chron's runs in my wifes family also, so I know a bit about it. I'll send out some prayers for you.

My band teacher had a fight with it when I was in highschool. He's actually doing great now, and is looking forward to many years ahead .

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I still play WoW, but with a different strategy than most: I play it to enjoy myself and have fun. Most people are real serious about it and take it as a competition and want to level all the way up, I don't care anymore, I'm level 41 and don't give a **** about levelling any longer, if I level, that's great, if it takes a week (like it has been) oh well, I'll just go through another couple instances or whatever.

But meh, to each his own. Glad to hear that you're doing better though.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I don't play WoW, I hardly ever drink soda, and I'm even cutting back on tea in favor of just water.

Now I've just got to get more active.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Life is like an analogy...

i kicked my "addictions" around new years. not really as a resolution, it was just coincidence.

i say "addictions" because i dont feel like i have an addictive personality, so my "addictions" were more like things that just werent all that healthy.

to date its been this:

-practically no junk food of any sort, i used to pig out on chocolate and pies and all that wonderful stuff
    -more meat, veggies, water, and soy milk
    -even more exercise than before
    -generally just eating as much good food as possible... up to 6 or 7 pounds of food daily

thats made a world of difference. i feel and look better than ever right now. when i had to leave for a month or so to get things straightened out in my life, in that time i added on 8 pounds of muscle, and im still on track to add another 2 pounds this week. i havent been sick at all the whole time either, versus always getting colds. its been great so far... i dont even recognize pictures of me from last summer.

mind you, it wasnt easy at all. make no mistake about that. cutting out the bad food was hard for about two weeks. everyone was having the sweet stuff and i was having another plate of dinner. eventually i started actually preferring good food over junk food.

the even more exercise part was by far the hardest. i was already spending about an hour a day at the gym, but wasnt really going anywhere. in conjunction to the diet change, i started absolutely killing myself at the gym, going until i couldnt anymore. no pain no gain. well... my legs are still aching three days after my leg workout, and it pays off big time when you get on the scale and see another 2 pounds that werent there last week.

anyways, take it from me. if you can kick your addiction to junk food, and get into healthy habits, you WILL see differences, and when you see them it inspires you to go even further. its a vicious circle of the healthy kind. just one strong suggestion for everyone. if you do it, go all the way. you can change your eating habits, but if you still sit around all day you wont lose any weight. you can start going to the gym, but if you keep eating junk food it cripples your progress. activity and diet go hand in hand. its amazing that those commercials preaching the same thing were actually right.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I, on the otherhand, just relapsed a bit--reactivated my WoW account.

Moderation will be my key. No more 10+ hour marathons in the 40 man groups.

I need to exercise a bit more--there's a gym membership in my near future.

I should lay off the energy drinks, but damnit, those things are addicting. Plus, if I wasn't getting my caffeine from them, I'd just be drinking that much more coffee and tea.

I realize my shortcomings. I just gotta do something about them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Life is like an analogy...

I should lay off the energy drinks, but damnit, those things are addicting.
    ya those energy drinks arent the best things for you. they work like a hot damn, but if you drink them regularly... i dont see any good coming from them in the long run. i cant drink those very often, especially if im going to the gym because i get all jittery, and that ruins my strength. i learned that lesson while doing a barbell military press... my arms gave out and i ended up with a lump on my head.

anyways... down with caffeine in general. i dont need it to wake up, and most people probably dont either.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

i've stopped eating fast food for 3-4 months now. the only "fast food" i eat is subway, 6" cold cut on italian with mayo and lettuce.

now that we got a treadmill i should use it. i should really cut back on this site (2 or more hours a day). oh and when i bike i go maybe 1-2km, i bike maybe 2-3 times a week.

once i start to work that will help with exercise (HVAC/R).
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v