Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu and xp dual boot

ATX Mental Case

Default ubuntu and xp dual boot

i want to install ubuntu on my desktop, which already has xp on it. i have about 11gb worth of stuff on this hard drive. if i install ubuntu on this hard drive, will i lose all the files i already have installed? thanks in advance guys

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Re: ubuntu and xp dual boot

You won't lose anything on your hard drive, unless by chance it is at 100% capacity, which I highly doubt.

I haven't had the chance to dual boot yet (I will, however, be doing just that by this weekend if all goes well though), but my basic understanding is your NTFS (NT File System) partition will be resized by Ubuntu to make room for the new OS.

At least, I think that's how it works. You might have to download a 3rd party partitioning program and resize your NTFS partition manually. Not all that hard to do, more of a pain in the ass more than anything.

Hope this helps, and let me know how it works out for ya!

Edit: Your sig is too big--might want to resize it before something happens to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

i recently installed ubuntu feisty on my pc with xp and it has an inbuilt partition manager, but im not sure if you're going to loose your files as i had installed it on a spare partition

Nope. Here's how it's done.

1. Install XP.
    2. Insert your Ubuntu CD and restart the computer.
    3. Click the "Install" icon.
    4. Go through all the manual steps like filling out your name, time, etc.
    5. STOP when you get to the partitioning section. This is where most people get confused, and erase their data. What you need are 3 partitions. You need a " / " partition, and linux-swap partition, and a boot partition. You need to create all three using Qtparted (I think that's the one they use). Tell it you would like to partition manually (or however they say it). Create the three partitions. Make the boot partition about 1Gb (it can be smaller, but I wouldn't risk it; my Gentoo boot partition is 32Mb, but it may differ from one install to another). To do this, you make the partition first, and assign boot to it after it's created. Do this agian for the linux-swap partition. Depending on the size of your HDD, it only needs to be 512Mb - 1Gb. Create it and assign linux-swap as the filesystem. Take the rest of your drive (if that's how much you want to use) and create another partiton. This partition will be assigned the " / " filesystem, which is root.
    6. If you think you did it right (and you probably did, it's not too hard) finish up the install. When it's done, you'll reboot, you should see GRUB displaying Windows and Ubuntu, and you're done.

If you have any other questions, I can write a more indepth tut and get some pics up too.
    RIP Bucko

ATX Mental Case

thanks maleficus for that tutorial. it seems easy enough, but i am still a little wary. this is my main computer. is there an easy way to backup my hard drive? any utilities you guys use for this?

maleficus-i would +rep you, but "i have to spread it around first".

I don't backup my stuff, though I really should. I'm going to be doing that in a few days, as soon as I have some time. I'm going to burn some DVDs of all my important stuff, incase I ever lose them. You could go out and buy and external HDD, they usually have utilities built in to backup data.
    RIP Bucko

ATX Mental Case

You could go out and buy and external HDD, they usually have utilities built in to backup data.
    only problem with that is i have no money. are there any other easy ways to backup my hard drive? its only like 12gb

DVD burners are about $40 Canadian, and a spool of DVD's will run you maybe $20. For $60 (or less!) you can backup 4+ gb per disc for single sided DVDs.. so then 3 dvd's would backup all your stuff. That's probably the cheapest hardware option.

There are online backup services, where all your data is copied up to an internet location for storage.. I'm wary of those for two reasons.. data integrity, and data security. Ymmv.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ATX Mental Case

thanks for the suggestion lukifer, but i just found an extra 20gb drive im gonna use for this venture.

i just tried to boot from the ubuntu cd, and after the initial loading animation, i get this command prompt looking screen with the following message:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; jobcontrol turned off
    (initramfs)

can anyone tell me what this means or how to fix it?

initramfs is "initiate ram file system"

How much ram do you have? Ubuntu RECOMMENDS 256mb minimum for live environment, though I've used it successfully with 128mb...

It could also just be a glitch.. reboot, try again?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro