Thread: dual power supplies?

ATX Mental Case

Default dual power supplies?

I just found a couple of 250w power supplies in my pile o' stuff, and I was wondering how easy would it be to run some things off of one of these, and the rest off of my main power supply? Would i just plug them in and go or do i have to do something?

Default Re: dual power supplies?

You can do that, but you need to splice the green wires together from each PSU in the power bundles that run to the motherboard. Otherwise, the PSU that is not powering the motherboard will not turn on when you press the power button.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

We have a worklog of someone doing that here somewhere don't we JD? Can't seem to find it...

Anyways, but thats what he did. He connected two power supplies and made one big ole unit. I think... it was slytherock? wasn't it?

**Found it**

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=8082
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

ATX Mental Case

couldn't i jump the 20 pin connector (i think thats what you are talking about) with a paperclip or something? i remember reading that somewhere on these forums...btw, +rep to you both for the info.

you can jump the psu. but its better to triger it instead.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    We have a worklog of someone doing that here somewhere don't we JD? Can't seem to find it...

Anyways, but thats what he did. He connected two power supplies and made one big ole unit. I think... it was slytherock? wasn't it?

**Found it**

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=8082
    wooo... thx my for my old thread resurection

@andymushu: be very careful with those PSU. Capacitor can keep power for a long time... If you can, dont open the box, just use the external wires.

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

You don't want to jump it, that is how you turn a PSU on without having it connected to the motherboard/power button. That way it would always be on, you want them to power on together as one and for that you must splice the green wires together. And of course, as Sly said be careful and don't open them.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

ATX Mental Case

ok thanks for all the advice guys.