Thread: Question about Motherboard Stand-offs

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Question about Motherboard Stand-offs

How long should stand-offs for the motherboard be? I have a couple of stand-offs that I found out in my tool shed that I would like to use but I'm not sure if they are the proper size for this use. Since they aren't expensive, I would rather get the right ones the first time around instead of making a mistake that could end up in being costly. lol something I already know all to well.

TIA
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Question about Motherboard Stand-offs

The only necessity is that they are long enough to prevent the motherboard from touching the tray and shorting out.

If the board lines up to the IO plate, no problem.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by Lukifer122 View Post
    If the board lines up to the IO plate, no problem.

That is probably one of the most important things. You'll have all sorts of issues if the standoffs are too long or too short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Well I am building my case completely from scratch, so I need to know what size to use. That way when I start cutting out the PSU, 120mm Fan and I/O+PCI Brackets I know where to put everything so it all lines up correctly. But another reason why I want to make sure, is so I don't short out my motherboard again. Which I think only happened last time because when it fell off my stand, the weight of my Blue Orb II bent my motherboard so much that the solder points on the back of the motherboard touched the metal frame on my old pc case. Thats just a guess, but better safe than sorry this time around. ^_^
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Austral Alien

Around 10mm (or 3/8" for you non metric types) should be fine. That's around what my factory stand offs are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Thanks Bucko! Thats what I have, so cool beans. lol you probably just saved me $20USD. You know how it is when you walk into a hardware store... you always end up walking out with more than you were going in for.

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    You know how it is when you walk into a hardware store... you always end up walking out with more than you were going in for.
    But knowing us modders, it all gets used!

lol

Well, knowing me... It would get used once, I would hurt myself in the process, then I would end up breaking it within the same week of purchase. ^_^