Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trebuchet construction

Default Re: Trebuchet construction

Ok Pictures!!!!!!
    its like 1/2 finished so heres my progress

the full arm

close up arm and axle

the folded up supports

the projectile on my desk ( 4 tennis balls duct taped in a cone shape)

ENJOY!

the final assembly and launch will be this saturday
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

"We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by nil8 View Post
    I just had a horrible thought.
    Golfball air cannon.
    Repeating golfball air cannon.
    Sweet.
    already done. by me, by pretty much every other potato cannoneer

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

looks good. What are you using for the axle? It looks like Aluminium? Or Threaded rod? Hope the doesn't bend too much. Also, fiddle around with it to get the best shot (obviously :p) Remember the higher you get the weight the more energy it has, so it may help if you shorten your throwing arm to get the weight higher, just an idea . Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    looks good. What are you using for the axle? It looks like Aluminium? Or Threaded rod?
    its a 3 foot long threaded rod 1/2 inch diameter. it shouldnt bend

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    Remember the higher you get the weight the more energy it has, so it may help if you shorten your throwing arm to get the weight higher, just an idea .
    what i dont understand what you mean
    -Daft Punk

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

He's talking about basic leverage. The longer the arm the more of an effect the force has on it. Look it up on Wikipedia if you need a bit more of an explanation.

It's looking good to me, my neighbor built a small one for a class he was taking, he launched it on his gravel driveway and it slid back about 10 ft (3 meters), and the golf ball went across the street to the neighbors yard, heh heh... and the one he made was only a couple feet tall (the frame, that is).

Oh, and when I first opened this thread, I just want to point out that the pics were screwed up, they overlapped the other posts.

oh yeah i know what you mean, the short arm is 2 feet long and the long arm is 6 feet long
    -Daft Punk

OK!!! tomorrow (the last day of school) me and my friend aka firemonkey91 are going to FINALLY finish up this project (now i just have to complete my SR-71 project) Im ordering pizza, and some of my LAN buddies are coming for the inaugural launch of the WonderSquid II. (WonderSquid I was my knex model lol)
    -Daft Punk

its all completed, its a little wobbly, but a few crossbars should help. my friend took some pics and they will be here soon. the axle (.5 inch threaded rod) bent alot, but no permanent damage was caused. I forgot to plan the sling so it was quite rudimentary and we only threw 60 feet. after i work out the bugs on it, it should become the menace of everyone in Irvine. We also borrowed some sand from the playground, and commandeered my neighbors recycling bin to haul it back. I cant wait to get in some long range (300meters) sieging.
    -Daft Punk

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

I look forward to seeing images of this. I always wanted to be able to build something like this but figured it would be difficult. Now that i look at it i guess it doesn't seem as complex as i used to think it was.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.