Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Might as well start a worklog here

Default Re: Might as well start a worklog here

Right now I'm not sleeping because I'm busy trying to come up with ideas for it. But I'm thinking I'll just sleep now and put a lot of time in tomorrow working on the design. I'm still willing to heear any ideas you may have on it though

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    ... I'm not sure if I'll inegrate the idea pictured below into all of that as well, but it's just one thing to work from.

Looking good here in my honest opinion. This is very near to what I was trying to describe - you've extended the sloped part so it hits the floor rather than having the overhang which looks very solid. From the looks of it this design has the mobo flat on the base? So that flat back panel is the I/O?

Yeah, that's how it is. But then that runs into problems of being able to move in and insert PCI cards, and then also screwing them down. It really seems to be a challenge to work in this shape, rather than the traditional box. I still have to put a lot of thought into it.

One easy way to solve all of this, would just to make the case be really big. I mean, a 2 foot base already seemed pretty big to me, but maybe I should just make it even larger than that. It would be more of a sculpture than a computer after that. Though I guess I could put in tons of space for hard drives and such, and have like 10 or more hooked up...

On that back panel if you made the upper section and the section of the tower just above it into an opening door/flap or easily removable panel that would give you the access required would it not?

Alright, so, last night and today I put a lot of idea into it. I just went in there, put on some Queen, and said I was going to get it done. Once Innuendo came on, it was like a sudden burst of inspiration and I finally started to realize the final image. Now, what you see here is sort of an alpha build in a sense. It's not exactly shaped how it will be once I finish building the actual case itself, but it should provide me with enough information for me to get back to work on it.

Overall, here's what it looks like

This case has sections to it. The one I refer to as the second section, which is the part with the arched indents, I also like to think of it as like a table, especially when viewed from above. But anyways, some parts of it seem to be alright,but I may need to change a few angles on it.

I think I'm going to take your advice, and have some of the base ara sticking out from the overhang. I'm going to make the underside completely black, and try to make it reflect as little light as possible. Though it actually might be alright to extend the overhang even more, as the temple has really steep sides. But the first option might be better, as I don't want the overhang to scratch against the surface that the case is resting on. What I also want to do is put some soft blue and just slightly fading lights underneath the overhang too.

This was just to give me a basic idea of the same of the top part of it. It won't be all pointy like that, and may actually be a little bigger. Also, the rounded part underneath the base of the top part needs some work as well. It's too fat right now.

Based on the screenshots, it seems as though the legs on the table are longer on the front side than on any other. And they also give no indication to what the backside would look like. We could evn assume that the table is just flat on that side, with no arch. I want to work on the angles of this more, to make it more subtle and less like a fat thing sticking out. I may do this simply by just raising the top square surface of the table. Also, for accessing screws for PCI cards, the slanted part right above the I/O panel will be on hinges. Though I also need to come up with a way to access the rest of the inside, such as to change the motherboard. I was thinking of having the table attached to the rest of the case by screws, and have the whole top half able to be unscrewed and lifted off.

So this is not the exact final image for the case, but it gives me enough of an idea to visualize what I'm doing, and actually start putting it together again.

looking good

I have to say that is very creative, and I am excited to see such design elements.

Do you plan to have the LED's in the different colors? I have seen entirely too many cases with a monochrome LED look.

Keep it up!

Kendall

Probably all just shades of blue, though maybe some yellows could work as well. Blue is the theme of the case though. And don't worry. Even though it seems like I'm not doing much with this, I still have plans to work on it. I've just been busy with school starting now. But the benefit is that they have a machine shop here.

That new look is really cool.

I have nothing further of any relevance to say.

I just realized that it's been over a year since I first started this thread. I guess life kind of got in the way. I had school and whatnot, and working. And I've also been in Yellowstone for the past few months. Not to worry though, I'm still going to work on this.

I'm building an aluminum frame, sort of a skeleton, to build everything on top of.

I bought 16 feet of this aluminum. It's bent at a 90 degree angle, so I can build a hollow box out of it.

The original stuff I bought though, was accidently too thick. I ended up getting it 1/8" thick, but that was too much.

So then I got some that was 1/16" thick. It's just as sturdy, but have the thickness, half the weight, and half the cost.

I was trying to figure out exactly how I wanted to put this together. So what I ended up doing is cutting it into 20 inch long segments, and cutting a 45 degree piece out of each end.

Got all the pieces cut out.

They'll fit together like this

And then they'll all be joined at the corners like this, with the other side.

I think I'm going to need to order some more of this aluminum though.