Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade, but is it good ?

Question Upgrade, but is it good ?

Hi !
    I'm hopefully going to upgrade my computer a little bit and I was wondering if the system I have set up is good.

System Upgrade:

- TwinMOS DDR2 PC5300 2048MB Dual Pack http://www.twinmos.com/dram/dram_p_dt_ddr2_667.htm
    - ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/no/moth...&fMTYPE=LGA775
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz http://www.intel.com/products/proces...2duo/index.htm

My System Specs:

- Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz
    - 1Gb DDR2 RAM (clockspeed unknown)
    - 250Gb HDD 7200 rpm
    - Motherboard unknown
    - 420W PSU
    - ATI X1900GT 256Mb GPU

I am also planing to overclock the prosessor a little bit maybe and buying two packs of the DDR2 RAM.

And can anyone tell me if the new upgrade is good for Windows Vista ?

Tanks for your suport !
    And if there is anything missing, let me know =D

Default Re: Upgrade, but is it good ?

Either system you have spec'd there would run Vista. I'm running a P4 2.66, 1Gb (333mhz) RAM, 160 Gb IDE HDD, and Ge-Force 5950 Ultra.

edit: Dual booting XP Pro and Vista Business. This same setup ran Vista Ultimate Beta 2 and RC1 with no problems. I don't know about the upgrades. I've only used the full versions.

Looks good any reason on the 667 ram though

Quote Originally Posted by Durrthock View Post
    Looks good any reason on the 667 ram though
    It's cheap ! Don't cost so much her in Norway these days ! I think it is 187 us dollar for 1Gb .. but I'm not sure.
    I can't afford the 800MHz DDR2 RAM ... =(

Norway's expensive. I was in Trondheim in 99. I remember blowing about $150 usd before I knew what happened. Beautiful country though. I wouldn't mind going back.

Overclocked

Your current system already supports Vista. I made it run on a P4 2GHz with 512Mb RAM, and a GeForce FX 5500, and it actually ran the Aero skin (which I really was impressed of, thanks to the fresh format).

I would recommend a Gigabyte DS3 motherboard instead of the FATAL1TY. Its the best board in the range of ~$120. And unless you absolutely want to go SLI... I saw you already own a X1900 from ATI, that ain'T gonna be crossfire-compatible with the Fatal1ty. In case you don'T know, SLI and Crossfire are different, and CF doesnt work on SLI, vice-cersa.

Are you considering overclocking? the DS3 offers the best performance, but also is one of the best overclocking boards for Conroes. If you are not considering this option, you may stick with the Asus board, but unless you don't need the SLI you may go with another board. Also, if you are not afraid of overclocking, you could buy an E4300 and pump it up all the way to a E6400

Last thing, what is your power supply's model? 420W can comes from many brands, including cheap stuff.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

So, my Athlon64 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, and X800SE should run Vista too? Cool. Too bad I don't have it and I won't for a while.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    So, my Athlon64 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, and X800SE should run Vista too? Cool. Too bad I don't have it and I won't for a while.
    I was thinking of getting it, but honestly, wait for the driver issues to get resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

hardware sounds good but as for vista i wouldn't upgrade to vista untill they get some stuff worked out. I recently bought a HP pavillion for the family pc(not my personal one) and it has vista on it and within a week window explorer had a problem and would shut do every four seconds, so i then wipe the HD clean and re+Install and it will not play any games that are more than a year old even in capatiblity mode. IT SUCKS I HATE IT AND DID I MENTION IT SUCKS.

Who said being good....was.......good!

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    Norway's expensive. I was in Trondheim in 99. I remember blowing about $150 used before I knew what happened. Beautiful country though. I wouldn't mind going back.
    Well thank you ! But have you tried the online store, it's very impressive !
    In case you don'T know, SLI and Crossfire are different, and CF doesnt work on SLI, vice-cersa.
    Well THANK YOU I did not know that ! so the Nvidia SLI does not work in crossfire eighter ?