Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E6700 heatsink

Case Wizard

Default Re: E6700 heatsink

You could use the stock cooler that came with the Core 2 Duo if you really wanted to save money for that case and watercooling setup later on. And yes, you can overclock with the stock cooler.

The stock just isn't cool enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    You could use the stock cooler that came with the Core 2 Duo if you really wanted to save money for that case and watercooling setup later on. And yes, you can overclock with the stock cooler.
    So.. you're going to spend money on a heatsink, and then upgrade to watercooling anyway?

I OC'ed my 1.86 to over 2.1 on the stock cooler... it was over 10% faster, and I didn't have cooling problems.

Overclocking a little is... meh. But if you get watercooling, that's when you can really show your color. Just depends on what you want.

Personally; it's a waste of money, especially if you are going to upgrade soon anyway, not to mention that $50 is basically this.
    (Doesn't have to be that big of a rad, you could get a 1*120 or 2*120)

Just trying to save you some cash!

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    Yeah but I don't want one with a light, and I don't have the money to buy a fan controller or feel like getting one anyway.
    Zalman CNPS9500AT

that's a model without the led fan but with a slightly smaller fan. 92mm instead of the 110mm on the 9700's

and the fan controller isn't necessary, just a nice touch when you want to slow it down a bit.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by isunktheship View Post
    So.. you're going to spend money on a heatsink, and then upgrade to watercooling anyway?

I OC'ed my 1.86 to over 2.1 on the stock cooler... it was over 10% faster, and I didn't have cooling problems.

Overclocking a little is... meh. But if you get watercooling, that's when you can really show your color. Just depends on what you want.

Personally; it's a waste of money, especially if you are going to upgrade soon anyway, not to mention that $50 is basically this.
    (Doesn't have to be that big of a rad, you could get a 1*120 or 2*120)

Just trying to save you some cash!
    I'm agreeing with isunktheship here. Not only that, but your CPU is 2.66GHz. That is more than plenty. OC a bit now if you must and then push it to the limit once you go watercooling. $50 for a temporary heatsink does sound wasteful. The new Swiftech Apogee GT is a little over $50.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    The new Swiftech Apogee GT is a little over $50.
    :drools:

Check this out, you can see the difference between the Apogee and the GT.

Crazy stuff... My favorite part of the GT is all those little pin type deals. They aren't just round lil pins, they are many many tiny irregular shaped little buggers for crazy effective cooling.

REVIEW
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I guess I could reapply the thermal compound and the heatsink, then just clock it to like 3ghz for now. And I have a program constantly running that I allow to use up to 60% of my CPU power, and I guess I could shut that off when I do other things.

azminisk8r

personally i use this one over the zalman because, A. it has more surface area B fon pushes more air with less sound, 45 cfm w .9 sone C. i have oc'd my 6400 and the top fin of the hs has never gotten hot at all