Thread: Multiple cores?

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Multiple cores?

As per my understanding with processors with multiple cores the 2nd core will only be used by programs that can actually run multiple threads.

So if I got a top of the line single core Intel chip at like 3.6GHZ it would be more powerful then say a E6400 Core 2 Duo in most PC games as the games are only single thread applications. And the E6400 individual cores only run at 2.13 GHZ.

There are some multiple thread applications coming out soon like supreme commander. But in practice the only consumer use of multiple threads would be Photoshop CS and some multimedia suites.

So ignoring future proofing if I wanted the most bang for my buck a single core Intel chip clocked really high would be the go?

Edit: I read a review where the put a bunch of core 2 chips agaisnt a couple of other chips including a top of the line intel chip. The core 2's pulled out in front.

I guess the modern architecture must make a difference
    Need a sig

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

Default Re: Multiple cores?

For gaming right now, a single core chip is technically better than a dual core chip, but not by much.
    (but.. then again, i havent looked into the core 2 duo too much either.)

when lookin at amd's cpu charts, the fx-55 and fx-57 beat an fx-60 dual core chip, and every other chip amd makes in gaming.

Case Wizard

Don't compare the AMD single core and dual core CPUs. The Core 2 Duo's are different not only because they got 2 cores over a single core Intel chip. It is a way different architecture. I think it handles more instructions and it groups it differently so as to be way more efficient. There were pages of info when it was released. I read it and don't remember it.

Anyways, the highest Intel single core in GHz I see on Newegg is a Xeon (3.8 GHz) for $840. (Link) So much for "bang for the buck".

A good CPU is the Core 2 Duo E6300. Get that and overclock it past the performance of a stock X6800.

Re: processor utilization.

Do a web search on this. I know that I read an article where it described how to relocate ALL system processes to a specific processor/core. This allows many more cycles for your _important_ processes, such as BF2142.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...