Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimus Keyboard Update

Default Optimus Keyboard Update

Remember the optimus keyboard? The mini-three was released a few months ago, and they promised by the end of this year they would have a price for the optimus.

The time has come.

(oh and as a reminder/update if you didn't know, the optimus isn't in color!*)
    *yet. Later models of the board will be in color.

The company behind optimus mentioned that the board would cost as much as a high end cell phone. To users in the US, a "high end" cell phone is about $310, that's how much a new KRZR costs. I thought, well, if a color monitor costs about $200 dollars, this thing will probably cost at least 2 or 3 times that; $400 to $600.

My guesses were completely wrong.

Final asking price for the optimus (no color) keyboard? 1200. That's in dollars, not rupees. (fortunately the price will drop to <$1K in '07)

What do you guys think? Worth it or not? Is anyone going to buy this?

Original News Article

Default Re: Optimus Keyboard Update

NO WAYYY! I could build a helluva system for just the price of this keyboard alone!

Those Optimus guys are clever advertisers. But i wouldn't buy a lifeboat from them if i was stuck on the titanic.

I don't trust them one little bitty.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Overclocked

your remark is wonderful, dave, considering the thread originator is "isunktheship"
    i chuckled.

That's ridiculous. First off, most people are going to know what their hotkeys are, so this keyboard would be for a mod or showing off to people, not as a real benefit. That said, b/w doesn't even exist anymore, like anywhere, so it is not going to be a very good way for me to show off now is it? Finally, $1200 is way too much. I could build a similar keyboard for about that much, and mine would be in color, not as nics in some other aspects, but color.

It's primarily for rich people or rich companies. The only way the optimus is useful is for impatient rich people.

I'm with Dave on this one. Screw that company and screw that keyboard.

I'm with Dave on this one. Screw that company and screw that keyboard.
    I think a lot of people here feel the same way. It's been around since something like 1998 and only now is it being 'released'. For a long time, people said it was a hoax, and i don't even know if they were wrong for certain. If it is, it's the most elaborate rip-off I've seen in a long time.

It's an over-hyped piece of tack that i can live without.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I think a lot of people here feel the same way. It's been around since something like 1998 and only now is it being 'released'. For a long time, people said it was a hoax, and i don't even know if they were wrong for certain. If it is, it's the most elaborate rip-off I've seen in a long time.

It's an over-hyped piece of tack that i can live without.

-Dave
    Amen. I'd rather spend the time to learn the shortcuts than spend the money to see them. This keyboard seems like a cool concept and maybe even practical if it was cheaper but ****, 1200$? That's too much -- I don't care if the keyboard comes with a Thai Brothel for that much -- I'm not buying it.

Well, if it came with a Thai Brothel I might buy it for 1200$, but you get what I mean.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Just a random idea, I was thinking of a better replacement than this board, so I looked at the innovative designs that have appeared recently.

The Zboard is a great idea, you can lay in new keysets at the drop of a hat (and by hat i mean $25 + 30 seconds).

Expansion boards are also good ideas for gaming/photoshop/...w/e else you want.

None of those really hits the "fully customizable" mark. Since we are talking about LCD's how about this:

An LCD touch screen, that will be used as a keyboard. All that it would take is for someone to produce a keyboard shaped screen, and then a program to design your board. No buttons, full color, and it's as expensive as a big touch screen, which I would say is definately less than $1.2k.

Yay or nay?

I cannot in any frame of mind say yes to spending over 100 dollars on a keyboard. Unless it comes with a thai brothel.