Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandwidth Restriction

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Bandwidth Restriction

My ISP put a Bandwidth Restriction on my system not too long ago for some reason or another. Can I change information on the router to correct this? Such as the Local IP address, Router Name, Default Gateway, Host Name, Subnet Mask, Static DNS, Wireless Channel, or anything?? Also, what would happen if I changed any of those fields?

-SF
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Bandwidth Restriction

No you cant they are doing it from their end either ring em up and prepare to pay more or change ISP. ISP's unlike providers of other services such as lawn mowing can change the conditions of the contract they have with you at any time such as decreasing/increasing bandwith or speed or just cut you off for no reason.
    Need a sig

Gah, That blows...

Well just so I know, what would happen if I change any of those fields?

-SF
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Your connectivity to your isp could have problems or not work at all. If your bandwidth is restricted, stop downloading so much. Most ISP's do restrictions for a reason, such as too much bandwidth used, violating their EULA, or monitored piracy. Normally they will alert you and give you a trial period and monitor your connection to make sure you've stopped whatever it is they don't like. It's rare for companies to piss off their customers for no reason. Unless you have comcast.

Seriously though, call their helpline up with your info, ask why you've been restricted. You should get an answer as to why even if you have to deal with some run around.

If you want to know more about what those fields are, find a TCP/IP tutorial or book. It will teach you what DNS does and how it does it. How a gateway works, etc etc.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nil8 View Post
    It's rare for companies to piss off their customers for no reason. Unless you have comcast.
    ROFL, Amen!
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Overclocked

as for what would happen if you messed with those fields, chances are you'd throttle your own bandwidth to 0, cuz you wouldn't be able to connect at all

LOL!

WOOT! I have comcast!

...and my dad is really good friends with one of their top employees (My dad owning GMAC Realestate, I am almost certain that this "friendship" is just part of the business game.) Hmmm, I am just not going to say anything unless my dad does. That way if the guy asks if I have been doing anything "bad", like downloading (Which I don't, I use **YouTube! WOOT!), I'll just blame it on my younger brother, he'll get a swift kick to the butt, and I'll be back in business! lol

-SF

**YouTube is an excellent source for things such as Anime Series and the such. It isn't as good of quality as downloading, but you shouldn't do that unless you have permission from the company of what your downloading or whatever. Such as anime series and music and movies. Granted they don't deserve to make that much money... but its a circle of life deal so for the most part I support not downloading illegally.

Overclocked

technically, according to the more recent interpretations of the law (in the states), there is no such thing as illegally downloading copyrighted material
    uploading it is another matter altogether. although i also believe it's not so much a "legal vs illegal" as a civil issue. if you face **AA, you're not going to jail, but may be ordered to pay a fine to the industry. as i recall, if it's a legal matter, fines are paid to the state. in order for one person (or non-government entity) to collect money from another person (or non-government entity), it has to go thru civil court.

Resident Alcoholic

I can see where you're coming from about not downloading copyrighted material, and I support that view however when it comes to games I have no problem pirating them. This is because after getting into the games development industry I've never spoken to a games developer who owns a legal copy of photoshop or 3dsmax.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by nil8 View Post
    Your connectivity to your isp could have problems or not work at all. If your bandwidth is restricted, stop downloading so much. Most ISP's do restrictions for a reason, such as too much bandwidth used, violating their EULA, or monitored piracy. Normally they will alert you and give you a trial period and monitor your connection to make sure you've stopped whatever it is they don't like. It's rare for companies to piss off their customers for no reason. Unless you have comcast.

Seriously though, call their helpline up with your info, ask why you've been restricted. You should get an answer as to why even if you have to deal with some run around.

If you want to know more about what those fields are, find a TCP/IP tutorial or book. It will teach you what DNS does and how it does it. How a gateway works, etc etc.
    Actually the ISP won't call you to warn you that you are violating the EULA. The restriction is the warning, it's their way of prompting the customer to call in and ask why this has happened. Then they will give you the details.

I know this only because it happened to me, I had a trojan virus on my comp and my ISP had actually suspended my service. I didn't even know I had a virus till I contacted them and they told me, my comp was transmitting it across the network and they would only resume service when the virus was completley removed. They told me if it happens again I can face a 7 day suspension of service or immediate cancelation of my account.

But like nil8 said, call your ISP soon to find out whats going on or what you have done.