Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lcd screens on case

Default Re: lcd screens on case

using a laptop-screen in a standard desktop pc is not that easy... The laptop needs a driver-board (or something) which is normally built in to the casing of the screen, but in a laptop is built into the bottom part of the device (where the keyboard is)
    So to connect a laptop screen to your normal pc you will need to either get that board out or buld a new driver board for it. This takes a lot of time and effort so you'll probably be better of buying a standard lcd screen.

At least that is what I know, maybe in the last two months someone has found another way to connect a laptop screen, in that case; I would like to know. I have a 14.1" screen laying around here...

Thumbs up Re: lcd screens on case

theoreticaly, it would be cool, but, it doesnt seem like it will survive the rigors that a case goes through, ie: people bumping into it, bumps, jolts, careless airplane handlers. just a thought
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Noobish, but Trying.

Default Re: lcd screens on case

That LCD looks perfectly fine as long as you have a video card with TV out (S-Video/Composite) and the adapter for the RCA-Video connection. As far as powering it goes, it runs off 12v and most likely <1Amp. so wiring it into the 12v of the your power supply should be a snap.
    If you decide to go through with the idea I'm sure that the fine people on these boards will be able to walk you through any parts you have trouble with. Just remember, don't do anything you're not too sure of, or comfortable with without seeking advice first. We are all here to help each other.

To the question of durability suggested by the previous poster, anything made to withstand use in a vehicle should be able to handle the occasional "bump" and your case gets jostled around that much I would suggest relocating it to a safer place. Personally I can't think of very many occasions/events which would place my desktop tower case in the hands of an aircraft baggage handler, but perhaps that's more common than I'm aware of. The "rigors" my case generally has to go through is sitting on my desk lookin' sexy, and so far I haven't noticed any major damage caused by this extreme activity.

Peace all.

FyreKnight