Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Education and Ocupation thread

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Education and Ocupation thread

Graduated from School about 7 days ago. Haven't got marks back yet. I am currently looking for a job. Went to a new store that opened and sells home electronics tv's, computers, toasters etc. They want me to work for them because they are desperate for staff. Since I havent got my marks back I don't know what courses at universitities I can and can't get into. I either want to do Information Technology or Business majoring in E-Commerce.
    Need a sig

Anodized

grad. in 02' from H.S. Went to Lamar University for 2 years studyin Business Management. Didn't like it so I took a little time off while employed at a friends-of-family nutrition store (going on my 4th year there) and going to school now off and on at Lamar's sister school Lamar Institute of Technology for Computer Networking & Tech. I'm not a big fan of school. I'm ready to get out in the work field and go work my mojo, but I also know not many businesses will take me seriously without a degree of some sort so that's why I'm taking my time with school so I dont get too burnt out on it and wait for my door to open.
    I'M A SCAMMER, DON'T DO TRADE/BUSINESS WITH ME.

Anodized

Well Im a sophomore, I go to school all day.

Im skilled in PHP, CSS, HTML, and alittle SQL.

Im hoping to become a networking engineer or something like that.

Thats about it..

Slug: I've never heard of anyone who despises manual labor as much as it apprears you do..

Here's my Story...

I never graduated high school. Like any other red blooded Canadian growing up on wellfair, I forged a diploma. I spent a few years wasting away at various warehouse/**** jobs making minimum wage. I got a job at a small paint manufacturing plant and worked there for about 8 months. They seemed to be out of money because they wernt getting me new filters for my mask and the boss kept bringing new motorcycles to work (humm...). So i quit. Spent a while looking for work. I got a job at the SuperStore warehouse/freezer. After seeing about 15 people come down with pneumonia and myself starting to get sick from beeing in -30c for 8 hrs a day. I quit that job too. I spent a year in self reflection. Went to Calgary to persue a job with a moving company that was apparently thriving. After working 3 days in the first month i decided that was a flop and came home. A buddy of mine got me my current job as an asbestoes technician/labourer. This job's been good to me. I've never made so much money and had so many freedoms. I've learnt how to run a bobcat (big whoop; i know) and also a huge excavator and an even bigger concrete crusher. I've trained men, put myself in deaths way. Anything that needs to be demolished, I've done it all. Im currently working on the Golden Ears Bridge project and a few other various places. Somewhere in the middel of that, i decided to get a degree as a computer repair technician. Im about half way through learning most of what i allready knew. With a few exceptions...
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Life is like an analogy...

Slug: I've never heard of anyone who despises manual labor as much as it apprears you do..
    nah, i dont HATE it... i just choose not to do it. even though i weight train and all that... construction and electrical is too rough for me. i like the manual labour that i decide to do... like creative metalwork, wood carving, jewelry... and modding eventually.

anyways you know how it is... its fun until someone tells you that you HAVE to do it from now on, and then its a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cana-Balsitic View Post

Here's my Story...

I never graduated high school. Like any other red blooded Canadian growing up on wellfair, I forged a diploma.
    forged a diploma? Isnt your education provided in canada? Do you have to pay?
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

I've been around a computer most of my life. My family got our first when I was 5 and I played games on that thing for years. After a while, it got boring, so I went to console gaming.
    I really started getting interested in computers again around 1997. I was a half life gamer by this time and decided it was time to upgrade.

I had a 400 mhz k6-2 hp machine. My first upgrade was the video card to a pci voodoo3. Then a voodoo4. Then a new machine.

I barely graduated high school because of drugs and my lack of caring about the knowledge that I was forced to deal with. I was more interested in learning about things they don't teach in high school, like OpenGL programming, drugs, firearms, sexual deviances, and anything I could about computers or networking.
    After high school I went to the local tech institute where I majored in server and network administration. I loved the classwork and relaxed atmosphere and got an associates degree in 1 year. My offical major was Cisco internetworking. I competed for my school in VICA and came 4th in the state for router configuration & 2nd in the state for pc troubleshooting. I learned physical networking, server administration, tcp/ip, and network implementation and management. Rather normal stuff.

After RTI, I became CCNA and A+ certified.
    I had a slew of crow-eating oddjobs waiting for an IT position to open up in my small town. I was a hotel clerk, factory janitor, general laborer, drug dealer, bodyguard, and general miscreant.

After a couple of years the local hospital hired me as a pc grunt on a 7 man helpdesk. HP machines & printers, no server work, no active directory work, nothing special. PC grunt work. Shirt & tie, 9 meetings a week kind of place. Not my style.

I worked there for 6 months when a friend told me of a position in Springfield working at another hospital that paid more and was more laid back. 3 person crew doing more server work, database work, phone work, physical networking. I worked there until September. I was downsized due to budget issues caused by a state medicaid cutback.

I have been trying to find work since. I've been rejected 23 times and every day I'm still plugging away to find a job. If I don't have one by Christmas then I will get out of IT and try something else.

IT isn't what I want to do with my life. It's great for paying the bills and my only obsessive hobby, but I don't want it to be my profession. After I start work and get settled again I would like to go back to school and work towards a degree in psychology.

Oh, and I am sober now. I've done a 180 on my life because I wanted to. No support groups or replacement therapy, just decided one day this isn't how I wanted to live and started to change.

... I'm a freshman in High School. Not much else to say.
    RIP Bucko

Interesting story nil8. Really bearing your soul there. Glad to hear things have changed for the better.

I just started a few months ago at Bard College after graduating in the spring of 06 from HS. I'm not sure what i'm doing or where im going, but I'm thinking about computer science. I've only ever had some crap jobs except for working as an event technition at a theatre every once in a while which was always fun, operating the soundboard and filming and doing live video mixing...