Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a case makes me smile

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: Not a case makes me smile

I don't see why the TJ09 is anything special. It surely isn't anything along the lines of revolutionary design. Did you want something roomy, like a full tower server or Xoxide's UFO case?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Case Wizard

Is there anything that can be termed "revolutionary" when talking about unmodded PC cases? One thing that I thought was somewhat interesting was how they were cooling the hard drives. When you look at almost every case, the fan is directly attached to the fan slot/grill. Also, how they made the GPU fan cooling. That isn't directly attached to the side panel. Everyone talks about air restriction when it comes to fan grills, and when you look at that thing, the way it is oriented already would supposedly impose a lot of restriction already, then the added mesh. So that is why I used the word "interested". It is almost BTX-like but with the cooling of the GPU instead of the CPU, or is it just me?

Oh, and I am not the one looking for a case. Haxx is, but to be more specific, he is building one.

I look for efficiency of design for airflow and parts placement. I'm not at all fond of the standard ATX case layout. I also dislike all of the tooless-quickchange stuff. I'd rather know my stuff is secure when I move the case and spend the extra five seconds using a screwdriver. Who needs to throw a case together in five minutes with no tools anyway?

Before I ramble anymore I'll get back to work.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Well BTX is not the solution.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan
    Well BTX is not the solution.
    To true

I only like all this screwless stuff if it is solid anything flimsy and plastic is a big nono. Like plastic clips on PCI slots.

I'm getting my hands on a NZXT Lexa they are pretty swish with good coling. Very well thoughout case. With all fans with dust filters and a fan in the bottom of the case sucking in cool air and a fan in the top exhausting hot rising air.

http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/
    Need a sig

OK sorry ive been gone for a while on vacation

So yes the Tj07 is a nice case still there are basic principals that most common folk understand which have never been addressed.

2 good examples are....
    -Heat rises (so why do we push air out the back & against physics)
    -Heat walls bettween heatsources and mobo would be obvious.

"Slug Toy"

You seem to agree with most of my case concepts.

If there is a really cheap, strong, type of panel like plexi but not nessecarily clear please help me out with a link and/or name. They have to be able to be purchased in Canada and at least 3'6" x 3' in size (about 1/4-1/8 inch thick would be nice.)
    Systems:
    L-Top}
    O.S.'s Win-xp, Win-Vista, Dapper.
    HP pavilion,ze2115us semp3000m,200xpressM,1gb

D-Top}
    O.S.'s Win-XP pro-sp2, W-Vista
    CPU-Z scan

Case Wizard

Let me first say this. I'm just going to put this thought out here and it is probably WRONG. I'm admitting that I just thought of this and did not research it at all. I also suck at physics.

I understand that heat rises (yay, I'm not that dumb!). But wouldn't this principle work best in "free air" (not sure if that was the correct term/usage). So generally speaking, PC cases that have a front fan at the bottom and a rear fan at the top would "steer" the rising heat to the back of the case. So the difference should be minor right?

Even so, I do agree with you on the exhaust fan. I would rather have it at the top.

You mentioned something about heat walls. I'm sorry, but it isn't obvious to me. Would you mind explaining?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote
    Let me first say this. I'm just going to put this thought out here and it is probably WRONG. I'm admitting that I just thought of this and did not research it at all. I also suck at physics.

I understand that heat rises (yay, I'm not that dumb!). But wouldn't this principle work best in "free air" (not sure if that was the correct term/usage). So generally speaking, PC cases that have a front fan at the bottom and a rear fan at the top would "steer" the rising heat to the back of the case. So
    the difference should be minor right?

Even so, I do agree with you on the exhaust fan. I would rather have it at the top.

You mentioned something about heat walls. I'm sorry, but it isn't obvious to me. Would you mind explaining?

Even a minor disadvantage is still a disadvantage.

Now, here's how it should work.

Two air intakes on the bottom of the case. One under the GPU, one in the middle. The air from the GPU-bottom-case-intake will go up and through the spinning GPU fan which will thrust the air out of the case. the heat that isn't expelled backwards will rise up. The middle-bottom-case-intake will just blow up. That's it. Then put an exhaust on the top. Or two. Or three. All 12cm, of course.

For better CPU cooling, maybe re-engineer a slot cooler to go above the GPU slot and suck cool air in and push it up onto the CPU. Where the rear exhaust fan would go, make that an intake also. If you have a fan on the bottom of your PSU, leave it be. If you have fans on the front and back, make them blow into the case, maybe through their own thermal duct.

Then have one more intake on the front of the case, in front of the hard drives. This will blow cool air over the HD's, then the airflow will hit the upward stream and out the top of the case.

EDIT: Oh man oh man, I can't wait until i get to engineer ArgDawn's cooling system. That'll own, espeically if i use what i just explained here. Should work well.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Case Wizard

Wouldn't this depend on the depth of the case because long video cards could block/hinder the airflow of the "middle-bottom-case-intake"???

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote
    Wouldn't this depend on the depth of the case because long video cards could block/hinder the airflow of the "middle-bottom-case-intake"???

Most videocards that I have experience with (With the expection of my PNY Verto GeForce 4 Ti 4400) Wouldn't impede the airflow... and if it does, adjust accordingly or make vents.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"