Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Green Light

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Update 8

UPDATE - COMPUTER STATS

This is just a list of whats in the 3 computers. The first 2 are the ones im building and the Compaq is one I'm upgrading and giving to my sister.

Antec 900 (Gaming computer)

• 80 GB SATA Primary HD
    • 160 GB SATA Secondary HD
    • 160 GB SATA Secondary HD
    • 8800GT
    • 2.66 Quad Core
    • 4GB RAM
    • 22” Monitor
    • Vista Ultimate
    • CD/ DVD Reader
    • CD/DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
    • 650W Antec PSU

Custom Case (Secondary PC) - Project Green Light

• 80 GB SATA Primary HD
    • 500 GB SATA Secondary HD
    • 8600 GT
    • 2.4 Dual Core
    • 2 GB
    • 22” Monitor
    • XP Pro
    • CD/DVD Burner
    • CD Burner
    • 550W Roswell PSU
    • Media Card Reader

Compaq (For my sister)

• 30 GB IDE Primary HD
    • 80 GB IDE Secondary HD
    • 7900 GTS
    • 1 GB RAM
    • XP Pro
    • CD/DVD Burner
    • Compaq PSU

Stay tuned!!

-Fuga

Default Re: First mod: Green Light

UPDATE - PARTS

Well the UPS guy came today. (Saturday??? I know ) And brough me a nice new 500 GB Wester Digital HD! YAY!!

No i got it set up with my DUAL 22" Chimei monitors

And with my little 17" ( I might need another LOL... too bad i can't fit it )

Default Update 9

UPDATE - PARTS/QUESTIONS

Got my 8800 GT
    EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked

Compared to my 8600 GT

Oh man is this thing huge!

Questions:
    1. Have you used bondo? If so is it difficult?
    2. Anyone have a though on how I should do the front with the 3 tubes? I ask because its not flush due to the door on it.

-Fuga

Default Update 10

UPDATE - MODEL AND OVERCLOCKING

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson View Post
    dude thats a really sweet system. your backup machine is better than any machine i have.
    but do you really want to give someone a Compaq? wouldn't you really rather beat someone over the head? it will save them some trouble. jkjk
    Seriously though. you have blue lights in the power supply and green fans. whats the paint scheme going to look like?
    They PSU is just temp. I will replace it with another 650 W Antec like my other case has. Or a modular one. Still undecided. I want the case to be black. Side window will be clear green. 2 Green cold cathodes in it along with a few fans. I think I want the tubes to be lit. Not as much as the green but so that you can tell that they deff are lit.

Here is what the side will look like without the panel.

The inside will also be black. I just made it gray so you could see the inside better. I like having the CDROM and the drive bays being that crazy green and the rest being black. Pretty much for accent. The rail will be black. Oh and the peices that mount the fans on the back (not in picture) will be painted green. I put a post up Here
    about what kind of paint to use on plastic and metal so we'll see what ppl say.

Now the front.

Ill fix it up a bit more later but you can see that the bottom one (Green) is clear. I think if I just put like 4 LED's around the other ones (Inside the tube) and have them closed. It will look better because it wont be a mix of the green from inside and the red/yellow in the tube. Wacha think?

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest|2k7 View Post
    duuuuuude. lovingggg that dual monitor setup. remember to turn the fan speed up on that 8800gt! they run realllyyy hot. i have the xfx 8800gt xxx edition (670/950) and it runs reallllyy hot. id say kick up the fan speed to 50% ish or something. SWEET setup though dude! and LOVING the mod idea!
    Thanks for the info!! I put my fan up to 60%. Gave me a few degrees less. What are you using to set your clocks and fan speeds?

So I did a bit of overclocking tonight... Here are the results...

CPU:
    Start: 2.66 GHz
    1066 MHz FSB
    37 degrees Celsius

OC'd: 2.90 GHz
    1160 MHz FSB
    37 degrees Celsius

GPU:
    Start: 650 MHz Core
    950 MHz Memory
    SPP PCI-E 2500 MHz
    MCP PCI-E 2500 MHz
    40 degrees Celsius

OC'd: 650 MHz Core
    950 MHz Memory
    SPP PCI-E 2625 MHz
    MCP PCI-E 2825 MHz
    41 degrees Celsius
    I upped the fan from 29% to 60%. Still running fine.

RAM:
    Start: 800 MHz

OC'd: 870 Mhz

Now this was nothing big. I just upped it enough to effect performance, but not temps too much. Also all of the temps are at system idle. I also ran the System Stability test to make sure all of my settings would be fine during a game. All changed and monitored using the NVIDIA nTune Application.

Thanks for the comments guys. It keeps me going!

-Fuga

Default Update 11

UPDATE - LED's

Spawn I hope you read this....

Here is what I'm thinking of doing with the Red and Yellow lights

If I get a fairly deep red plexi and put LED's in the sides of it. (4 to be exact) That will give me a decent glow from them. Not as bright as I want the green to be. But good enough to notice it.

Also I'm really trying to integrate the door into the design. Idk how but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Also I'm thinking of trying out a new piece of hardware. Wireless Start Remote This way I won't have to open the front panel to power the system on. Its a though and its not too expensive either for just trying it out.

Suggestions please!!

-Fuga

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Free LED's???? Well it wasn't me but I wish I knew about it. I'm gonna ask my dad about the wiring tonight.
    lsdiodes gave some away as they closed so a bunch of people got 10 free Led's.

as for the wiring i did mine like this for the psu mod.

CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    I like the idea of the stop-light mod. Heck, I love the idea. Completely original.

If you can pull it off, I would like to see how it turns out.

Currently, I think that a few zip ties and a round IDE cable would really help your current case out. Then again, I can't talk because the only cable management I've ever done is the ones coming out the back of my case (and up through the desk.)
    Thanks . Although I am rethinking my origional idea about painting the case Black. Maybe the Stop Light Yellow would be a good alternative if i wanted to go for the real look. Hell maybe I'll even hang it if I do that LOL.

Ok Spawn... I'm gonna order some stuff in the next few weeks and try it out. Keep an eye on me

-Fuga

Default Update 12

UPDATE - CABLING

Well now that I'm on break I can FINALLY work on my mod. Thanks to CerealKlr for helping me find the sleeving I needed, I bought it and started to sleeve all the cables in my case.

(Side note: My camera died so I have to use my sisters old one... not the best quality but you get the gist.)

Here is a picture of the table I got for my room. Helps a lot to do everything on a table .

Here's a shot of the stuff I got.

My dad had a pin puller tool so i didn't have to buy one but if you don't have one i recommend getting one.

Case fits on the table just fine!

A shot of the messy messy inside before I start sleeving.

Cables

Here is a finished one.

I'm not great at melting the ends without burning it but oh well, its covered by the shrink tubing anyways.

And here are some pics of the cables once the shrink tubing is shrunk. (sounds funny lol) and yes I did the cables to my Cathode lights and to the switch.

This 8pin is gonna be hard.... My dad said he has some 1/2" shrink tubing at work that should be able to go over it.

Same with the 4pin aux power cable. Got the sleeving on it but need the shrink tubing.

So I decided to do ALL the cables in the case with this. Would that look good? Here are some shots of the cables I wanna do.

1- Fan power cable
    2- ESATA cable
    3- Frontside USB
    4- Frontside Firewire

1-Fan power cable
    2-LED HD/Power cable
    3-Power Cable
    4-Fan power cable

1- Fan power cable
    2- CPU fan power cable

What do you guys think? Should I sleeve them too? Or some? Which? Input keeps me going

I'll probably go to the store with my dad tonight or tomorrow night and see about getting paint for the case. So far I can't find a good green that I like. So I'll worry about the black for the case for now.

Once I finish up the cabling tonight I'll post more pics of the inside.

(I think I'm getting this whole modding thing)

Till then,

-Fuga

Default Update 13

UPDATE - PAINTING

So i bought my paints yesterday and spent all day today painting. And it looks pretty good. Mind you I'm no painter... but for me it was good.

Pics of the empty case.

I took out the side supports so I could paint them green

And here's the lid.

Case after the lid, sides and supports are taken out.

PCI slot fillers. Gonna be green.

All the guts after i took the case appart.

So to paint here's what you need:
    Paint

Sandpaper

And Newspaper

All of these parts will be white.

These will be black.

Now I couldn't take pics while I was painting cuz it was only me and I had paint on my hands. So here's after I was done.

Having them side by side looks sooooo cool

Now.... its time to take this mod to the next level with a... PSU MOD!! Now if you've been watching you'll remember that ugly blue that lit my PSU. So ya I took that out lol.

Outside

Top off

There is the connector that connects the fan.

Cables

Back pannel

LED's after I took them out of the fan. Wasn't to hard to my surprise.

Have to tape up the back mesh before painting.

Tape over the power input and switch.

After I covered the innards.

After the paint.

And here is the test to make sure the computer starts after I messed with the PSU. Ya I was a bit worried lol.

But its a success and it works

So I kinda miscalculated on the amount of paint I needed.... Here's how much I ended up using. 3 cans to 9 lol

Good thing the hobby shop is close.

I'll have some more close up shots once I find the rivet gun. My dad says there is one here but I don't think so. I think its at our other house up north... So I won't get it till like Sunday. I just wanna get it together and look at its beauty lol.

So until then I'll be waiting for some more sleeving to come so I can finish up all the other little cables in the case. And I'll post some more shots once I get it together. Then next moth I'll probably start a bit more on designing the front and how its gonna work.

Till then,

-Fuga

Default Update 14

UPDATE - ASSEMBLY

Well 1st off I got so pumped about my PSU paint job that I put it together without the fan guard

So I slapped it in and now its all good.

My dad felt kinda guilty about not having a rivet gun here so he went out and bought one.

For $3 at Harbor Freight you cant beat it .

Ok... now for the juicy part!!

THE ASSEMBLY!!!

I really love the contrast between the green and black.

After the 2 supports are riveted on.

After I installed the 2 HDD bays.

I painted a bunch of screws green for a nice accent on the back of the PC.

PS. I had to do this 3 times to get enough screws. Felt like forever for all of them to dry.

I then put some of the spraypaint into a little plastic container for touch up. Also I painted the rivets that I put in on the green supports green. (Another accent idea)

Finally get to put some hardware in.
    Mobo

PSU & Video Card

CD/DVD-ROM's, HDD, Media card reader and fans. I also tried to manage some of the cables.

I found this nifty hole in where the 5 1/4" drives go. I've had this case for almost 4 years and never notices it before lol. So I used it for cable management and man it works awesome.

Here's a shot of the back after all parts are assembled and the side panel is put on.

With the screws.

POWER ON TIME!!!

Have to do a dark pic!

Please let me know what you guys think so far. Input is great. + I get to know who's watching

Now here is the question I need to ask everyone...

Do you guys like the accent I did to the back?
    Recap pic

If so, do you think I should do all of the rivets in the green? It would deff make the back stand out more.

Oh wait one more!
    Do you think I should paint the ESATA and Cathode Switch panels in the back green as well? They are the only silver back there and I don't think it would be too hard to do. And what about the Mobo port panel?
    Recap pic. (bottom)

Let me know. I'd like to do this on Sunday cuz Saturday I have to cut grass all day . But at least it will give me some mod money! Which is always a good thing

Till then,

-Fuga