Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Knight's Rest-Knight Rider 30th Anniversary PC

Default Re: Knight's Rest-Knight Rider 30th Anniversary PC

So, been a bit, mostly medical issues, though some has been simple drawing cutting cardboard and fitting. There's very little room available, and there's a liquid cooling loop going in here...

Remember this guy? He still leaks. I'mma gonna fix that, real good like.

Only when it has been destroyed and rebuilt in my image will it be functional again!

Save those for later...

One end's tanks gone...

Looks like it was more solder than rad. I aim to fix that going forward...

Both tanks off...

And down to bare core. This assembly does not leak. Tanks leaked before. I ran water through this again, it's still fine. Need to get some desoldering braid and clean the rest of the solder off the rad (there's at least as much as in that puddle still on the rad) and then sandblast the core. It looks pretty rough.

So, while I make up tanks and get them ready for silver solder, I started working on the spacer between the fans and the rad.

1/2" acrylic, holes predrilled (would hate to cut it then bugger drilling a hole...)

A proper blade, and a slower than normal speed do wonders.

The interior cutout, and you can see my EKG hanging out of my shirt in the foreground. It's been a major impediment to progress.

And the completed crappy cutout. I'm currently filing to make it look presentable. My hands shake so much now I can't keep the saw straight very well. Still doesn't mean I don't try.

While shaping the abovementioned shroud with the Dremel clone I keep for such, I had a work-stopping accident, or I'd have a finished product for you. Never seen anything like it happen, so here's your warning.

A non-reinforced wheel and a chunk of melted acrylic got in under my glasses and burned themselves to my eyelid. It did no permanent damage, just hurt like nobody's business and put me off working for the rest of the day. That and I was standing in the rain Dremeling. Wear proper goggles, kids. I wear a very, very strange glasses prescription so I can't get prescription goggles or I would. Those huge stupid-looking goggles that go over your glasses are on my to-buy list (I already wear shatter-proof lenses.) This could have ended in real tears, but instead I got a warning burn and that was it.

I'm continuing work apace, but I've had two ER visits since I updated last. None were for modding-related injuries, just my falling lung function. I persevere though-I'm so close, I swear I am. I'm gonna finish this if it kills me. (The likelihood of it doing so is rather slim, honestly.)

See you soon hopefully with more progress...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Hope to see more. And hope you health stays good.

And you need some Acrylic blades.

Glad to see you at it again, when I came back to browsing the site again I was looking high and low from a mod from you. Looks great and I am sad to hear this is the last mod, but I completely understand. Awesome work from an awesome person and my best wishes to you and yours in your future ventures.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

I'm sure you all thought I was dead. No, but it feels like it some days. Little man had three hospital stay in a month, and I was in the ER again, though I finally have a real diagnosis for my lung issues. As there's no cure or treatment, I just get piles of painkillers and muscle relaxers, which is less than ideal.

I'm trying not to focus on my illness too heavily, so I'm going to get to some actual and real progress.

A naked card, looking to put on its new clothes...

The case, with its color coat. I'm using Plasti-Dip, as it's an excellent matte black, very tough, and helps to silence fans and other vibrations.

It may look like I'm missing spots, but I have very, very tight tolerances and I have to leave it off some areas, though anything that touches something that vibrates is coated.

What happened to the airflow, you ask? You'll see...

Knight's sent some of their new processors, helping me set up the system to get this running properly...

Need to get the optics set up properly for these though...

Racks in place, and yes, that is NASA heatshield. I have suppliers. (Actually, the stuff was declassified and gets sold for high-end racecars now, though it's not cheap.)

Board in, and Apogee Drive #1 installed. That's a DDC-1T, which with the Alienware ESA gets PWM capacity. W00t.

So what's this? Let's have some fun.

Chips, set aflame...

Flip...

Smoke 'em if you got 'em...

And what do they turn into? You'll see next update, which is hopefully pretty soon. I have pills to take and styrene to cut. You'll see me again sometime soon...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

NASA heat shield? That's awesome!

Great to see you getting back to this. Can't wait to see more.

Really want to know what's happening with the ICs also the case engineering is insane bullet proof and fireproof. Can't really go for a dust and water rating without forgoing all cooling haha

Awesome update once again can't wait for the next one. If there is anything you all need just let me know and I will do what I can.
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Yes, it's been quite a while. And there's been a good (bad) reason for it.

For those that have not heard elsewhere, Asher lost his battle January 7th. He would have been two the next day. I'm working to occupy my mind because I still don't want it to be real, but if I'm honest he had to go when he did. It was unbearable to see that kind of pain, but he's beyond all that now. He knows we'll join him when we can. For now, we just carry on as best we can.

Seeing as I'm working to occupy my mind, I finally did something even Alienware couldn't do with this thing. Watch and see.

ESA interface board here, had to move it in the end

One line run...

A bit of lacing...

All three run...

You can see how lacing allows them to drop in and out easily, while keeping the bundle tight...

Studs attached to the radiator bracket (it's an incredibly tight fit, as the scars on the leading edge can attest.)

All wiring is completely clear of fans and other important areas...

shows how clean the backside wiring is (as there is none)

And enough room for a radiator grille and the wires that have to run there.

Plenty of room, no?

And this is our next major target. All of my wiring has to go in before I can look at a single piece of hardline, and I have an Aquatube here to install as well.

Not too shabby for an evening's work, no?

It is good to see the progress, the rest of the update is well... if you need anything at all don't hesitate to ask.

One father to another, I offer you my condolences. Feel free to send a PM or chat if you want to talk.

Great work. Love the lacing.