Thread: varnish problems

Default varnish problems

I'm finishing up my longboard with a last coat of varnish, an extremely thin coat, and it's still super sticky after a few days. I'm using an oil based varnish, am I doing something wrong? The varnish says the cure time should be about 6-8 hours, with sanding required to recoat after 12 hours. Thanks guys.
    Not dead yet

Default Re: varnish problems

Depends on several things:

1. Temperature
    2. Humidity
    3. Age of the varnish

You are using proper nasty old type of varnish that you mix from flakes and turpentine? Or some sorta-varnish-type-substance in a can?
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Temp is about 65*F
    Humidity is super low (it's still winter after all)
    Varnish was purchased in November

its Varathane brand Spar Urethane (From a can)
    Not dead yet

What did you prep the surface with? It shouldn't do that unless there's some weird contamination. What kind of brush did you use?
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

I flattened the surface with sandpaper from 250 grit to 1000 grit, then used rubbing alcohol to remove any dust. After the alcohol evaporated i applied the varnish with a clean cloth (new sock, gives a wonderful finish for a thin top coat, same way i did the details on my dresser)
    Not dead yet

Odd. Might want to look into some woodworking boards and ask around. Is it still tacky now?

it's merely tacky now, not sticky... i'll give it a couple days... i'm never using oil based varnish again... water base is so much better
    Not dead yet

The best kind of varnish is the old style where you mix the varnish flakes in turpentine. But yeah, the newer stuff is a bit more forgiving.

Fresh Paint

Sounds like you are putting too much varnish on. Sand it down and brush on less varnish. Incidentally, four coats is a reasonable base for starting a good varnish job. You are far from finished.
    Read the TOS for rules concerning links in signatures...

Considering I have sanded it. Put a minimal coat on in the first place, and have put more than enough coats on, i'm going to attribute the problems i was having to the fact that it's winter in wisconsin and things dry slower when the temperature hovers around 55-60*F
    Not dead yet