Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions....

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Decisions, decisions....

ok so I kinda sorta have about £500 available - I don't ACTUALLY have it, but I can put my hands on it without too much hassle. Do I....

Finally get my i7 2600k system - that money will nicely cover the chip, a good board and 8 or maybe even 16GB of RAM....

Ignore the "issues" with GPS and wifi and get the Asus Transformer Prime I've been saving up for....

Dump it in a savings account and delude myself that I'll be able to leave it alone for 11 months and put it towards CES 2013....

Arghhhhh!!!!!!

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Default Re: Decisions, decisions....

Do whatever pleases you most, though figuring that out is easier in retrospect. If you think the computer upgrade will be an upgrade, and not just an urge to upgrade itch, then go for it. Personally, until I have a need to upgrade I won't. There just isn't any software that I run that demands more. I can look at fps numbers and point to benchmarks, but once I learned that didn't matter and what mattered was my productivity, I stopped caring so much.

As for the tablet, I love my Nook Color, and my fiancee loves hers. I wish it was more like the Transformer and I could just pop the laptop dock on it and take notes with it instead of lugging a laptop too. They are enjoyable, but tablets do seem to be a consumption device and not a productivity device. I have no problem with it, but something to think about.

If you think you'll just end up wasting it, then find something you want and go for it, assuming you aren't pushing other obligations aside to do so. CES would be cool, but if you knew you weren't going to be able to not spend the money, might as well get something nice out of it instead of chiseling away at it over the year on little useless things.

Shut up and take my money!

What about putting half of it in savings, and putting the rest towards finishing some of those projects you have yet to complete? Just saying, of course. I would agree with what Night was saying, about thinking of productivity over wanting the shiny things
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

HD projector off ebay, pull down screen, ceiling mount.

That's where my next 500 is going!

Shut up and take my money!

My next $500 would probably go for a second monitor *hangs head* I know I know, I only have one monitor
    Not much else I could do, besides a few odds and ends. Couldn't go SLI with only $500
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    My next $500 would probably go for a second monitor *hangs head* I know I know, I only have one monitor
    Not much else I could do, besides a few odds and ends. Couldn't go SLI with only $500
    i used to have two of these hp 2408h's, but i sold one, cause *iknow* it was too much space. http://www.amazon.com/HP-W2408H-24-i.../dp/B0013AHADQ
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    ok so I kinda sorta have about £500 available - I don't ACTUALLY have it, but I can put my hands on it without too much hassle. Do I....

Finally get my i7 2600k system - that money will nicely cover the chip, a good board and 8 or maybe even 16GB of RAM....

Ignore the "issues" with GPS and wifi and get the Asus Transformer Prime I've been saving up for....

Dump it in a savings account and delude myself that I'll be able to leave it alone for 11 months and put it towards CES 2013....

Arghhhhh!!!!!!
    im with the person who said upgrade if you need to, otherwise you have really been wanting that transformer, but then again, how much would those potential issues you say it has bug you? my guess is, if you are a techie like me, it's usually the little things that drive me insane. I am always partial to the third, but.... you gotta figure out which one you want the most, and if its a good way of spending your cash. just my 2 cents.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Well..... the upgrade really would be an upgrade itch thing - my system, while over 3 years old still does everything I need it to - Core2Quad Q6700, 8GB DDR2, 1GB 4870, 2TB storage, 22" + 2x 19" screens. I don't really game on the PC now we have both an Xbox and a PS3 so for a general purpose multitasker, 3 years old or not, it's more than capable.

The Transformer - I'm stuck with the usual "should I wait" question - Asus has already announced a replacement for the Prime, the TF700 or something - it's got a plastic back which solves the problems with GPS and Wifi which the current (much MUCH sexier looking) Aluminium case causes - having said that, UK release is slated for Q3 and I don't know if I'm that patient heh - I think this is still the front-runner.

CES2013 I really REALLY want to do - I did 2011 and couldn't finance 2012 and every facebook post I saw about it drove me nuts (and with my industry contacts and geekfest of friends there were a LOT) - I'm kinda thinking (or hoping) that I'll be able to go even if I don't put away the £500 now - and if that £500 is the make or break on going, realistically, I still can't truly afford it....

Course, UK stocks of the Transformer Prime (in grey, I do NOT like the look of the gold) are still like hens teeth so it may be a moot point for now *bangs head on desk*

I think I'm closer to a decision now, and if someone was to point out a source for the Prime, in stock, immediate dispatch, for the right price (ie not hugely inflated because they actually have them) in the UK, I might just jump on it heh.

That last bit wasn't a hint - it's kinda me coming to a decision, sorta, ish.....

Oh as for projects - those aren't being held up by funds - they're being held up by time - I just don't have a lot spare at the moment - I think I've posted maybe 30 times in the last 2-3 months because I'm running around like a lunatic recently..... :s

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    I think I'm closer to a decision now, and if someone was to point out a source for the Prime, in stock, immediate dispatch, for the right price (ie not hugely inflated because they actually have them) in the UK, I might just jump on it heh.
    Amazon seems to have them...I was able to go all the way to punching my credit card # in...is this what you're looking for?
    Transformer Prime with Keyboard Dock
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    measure for two days.
    cut once.
    In the pipeline: PRO-49776

Quote Originally Posted by Neodymium View Post
    Amazon seems to have them...I was able to go all the way to punching my credit card # in...is this what you're looking for?
    Transformer Prime with Keyboard Dock
    When I said immediate dispatch, I kinda meant a little sooner than.....
    Usually dispatched within 10 to 13 months.
    Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available.
    heh