Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High pitch whine from PC ~help!

Fresh Paint

Default High pitch whine from PC ~help!

So i ended up buying the HAF 922 and had a techy friend help me switch cases and after i got home and fixed the kinks out.. such as (cpufan plugged into PWR FAN instead of CPU FAN 3pin lol) plus i fugred out how to open my cpu fan and lubricate that.. works good as new... but now i have a very scary problem.

Once i fixed up everything i started up my comp and then after 5 seconds i start hearing this super high pitch whine... so high my Mother couldn't hear it... i unplugged my gfx card... still there. stopped all my fans... still there. Sprayed the crap out of EVERYTHING...to no avail... all i did was switch cases... how so many things coudl screw up at once has got me... atleast everthing else was fixable.. this ive got no clue... although every google refrence to high pitch noise leads to PSU... so i pulled it out sprayed it some more... shook it... smacked it a lil...

hmm i was just messing with the power supply and i stopped the fan and the high pitch noise got quieter but was still there.. so that woudl most likely mean the bearings in the PSU fan need lubricant? is it really safe to actuLLY OPEN UP THE psu THO? any help is most appreciated.

or do u think the fan speed or how the sound went through the fan made it louder

Shut up and take my money!

Default Re: High pitch whine from PC ~help!

Quote: "Now I have a loud high-pitched whine, just on the cusp of hearing (it must be getting close to ultrasonic), which is slowly driving me insane...
    After some poking around, I decided that the sound seems to be coming for the power supply unit (a 300W unbranded PSU that came with my case.)
    After a bit of searching around on the web, I read that power supplies (and other things) start to whine when they are starting to fail, and that the sound in this case would come from one or more 'whistling capacitors' that are breaking." from http://goo.gl/ngEhG hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Fresh Paint

I find it so odd that it screws up when i move it to a new case... like yah i drove the whole computer to a friends but... i doubt a few pumps on the road woudl screw it up... why would it decided to break now... or could it be because i have more things plugged in now then i had b4?

IT IS THE POWER SUPPLY!!! I unplugged 3 of my HDD'S and bam when th epsu started i heard a very faint whine for a split second the it was gone...

Dunno, electronics are weird like that lol, i'd try a different power supply and see if that makes the noise too, if it does then its probably your motherboard or something, but if it doesn't then its the power supply most likely.

Myrmidon

Fresh Paint

if u didnt see i updated my top post

"IT IS THE POWER SUPPLY!!! I unplugged 3 of my HDD'S and bam when th epsu started i heard a very faint whine for a split second the it was gone..."

hmmm i was just testing but i was plugging in different HDDS to see if it was possibly one fo them that was screwing it up... and when i had them all plugged in 30gig ssd, 540 cav green, 750 cav black. the sound seems to be there but almost barey noticeable.. and when my 2 tb is in... its LOUD...

hmm i unplugged ll my hdds and just plugge din my 2tb and once again... loud as ever.

Also this is current PSU http://www.highpowersupply.com/hpc560A12s.html

any ideas?

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

I would still recommend replacing the PSU - you definitely don't want it to fail while it's running and plugged into everything else, as it could take out anything that's hooked up to it.
    Also, to confirm it is indeed the PSU, unhook it from the m/b and everything else, (including the wall socket), turn off the master power switch, stick a paperclip between the green and black wires on the plug that goes to the motherboard, and then plug it back into the wall. Turn the master power switch back on, and it should start up:
    http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_o...aperclip_trick

It'll have no load, so it may or may not whine, but if it does then you know for sure. It could be your 2TB HD, but I think that's less likely if the whine is happening (no matter how faint) without it plugged in. So yeah, bottom line, replace the PSU since it could kill anything plugged into it if it dies...
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

whats your specs on your computer? could be power supply isnt putting out enough juice? dunno

Myrmidon

Fresh Paint

Specs:

CPU = Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    with an ULTRA 12v cpufan/heatsink hooked up to a temp reader

GFX: gtx 460 OC

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Mobo: ASUS P5Q-E

Case: HAF 922 (2x 200mm fans and a smaller one at the back)

HDD: 30gig SSD, 540 cav green, 750 cav black,
    2tb samsung(pulled out of a external hdd...)
    thing with this hdd is... its acted up b4... nt working when held in a certain angle and would get hot and seemed to vibrate more... people have told me its because of the size being 2tb... idk tho...

O and a wireless receiver via PCI slot and a dvd rom drive.. bt its not even plugged in atm.

PSU: Model: HPC-560-A12S aka 560watt says HIGH POWER on the back...
    this link is bang on: http://www.highpowersupply.com/hpc560A12s.html

Also @artoodeeto the high pitch noise seems to be gone with less plugged in.
    Also if ur wondering im on my laptop maing these posts as im too scurred to turn my cmp on anymore knowing that my PSU could fry everything inside.

it could be a defect of the drive, but im not sure if that would cause the psu to act like that..try it with a different psu would be my suggestion again

Myrmidon

Fresh Paint

my friends arent as tech savvy as i am..i srsly dont know if i can find a friend who has a decent enough power supply to test. I may have to buy one.. but if it turns out it isnt my PSU i wonder if i can even take the new one back. Although at this point the facts do tend to point at a old psu at the end of its days... not able to push out the amount of power it should be able to... am i right in saying that? god... i really dont wanna buy a new powersupply... horrible timing.