Thread: Custom Socket Tray

Default Custom Socket Tray

After laying out the top of my Dayton box for sockets, I ran into two issues. I had a blank space that no normal options would fit in, and I don't have a spot for singles, and special sockets. Stuff like spark plug sockets, and O2 sockets... So I decided to take a sheet of 1/8" Delrin I had, and use some $0.99 HF rails and make something to fit.

I started by taking some measurements of the space. I took the measurement I got, and undersized everything by roughly a 1/8" to allow room to get it in, and out.

The spot...

The supplies...

I started by taking a cheap square, and using some vice grips clamped it down where it roughly looked right. Then used a tape to get it perfect.

I then took a carpet knife, and scored the ever living hell out of the Delrin. Until I was roughly half way through the material.

After this I took the clamps off, and put the Delrin in the vice clamping it along the seem. With a sharp push, the score broke perfectly!

Ta-Da!

Next step was to cut the short side. I was having trouble scoring it, so I took the light score I had, and using a fine tooth hack saw to it. That glided through the Delrin like butter!

The final piece after hitting it with a file.

It fits!

The hard part was the rails themselves... After figuring out the length I want, I marked, and cut one of the rails. Then I laid it on top of the other half I had left lining up the end holes, and marked it. Making sure to compensate for where the mark was compared to the first mark I did... To help imagine, I basically cut a 1" out of the middle when all was said, and done...

Then I had to drill the two holes to mirror the original end holes. To do this, I stacked the rails on top of each other, but turned 180*. So the top ones hole, is overlapping the side of the bottom one without a hole. If that makes sense... Then I took the vice grips, and clamped them together. After this, it was a simple matter of drilling, and cleaning the holes.

Then I laid the rails on the Delrin, and after position them where I wanted, I drilled the holes.

Drilling...

The final step was to drill and tap the holes to bolt the rails down. Not sure if 10-32 screws will do a great job of holding in 1/8" of Delrin, but we are gonna find out!

How does it fit? Well, I could feel is displacing air when I sat it down in the spot! thumbsup2

Hopefully this has inspired at least one person, and showed that organizing doesn't have to be expensive.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Default Re: Custom Socket Tray

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Hopefully this has inspired at least one person, and showed that organizing doesn't have to be expensive.

Well, you've definitely given me food for thought to address some issues with my tool box.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks great. I didn't know about those cheap socket rails from HF...I might have to get some of those...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Custom Title Honors

this has inspired me. good job!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Looks great. I didn't know about those cheap socket rails from HF...I might have to get some of those...
    At Glen Burnie HF they are on the right side of the socket isle on a shelf about half way up. All sizes $0.99. They are more flimsy then some of the higher end ones I have, but for basic stuff they are fine, and even getting them for the clips is worth it... I have a bunch of rails that the clips have worn out on.

They also have some Hansen knock off trays, which aren't bad. Although the Metric set skips a size...

Since I'm reorganizing my box, I've been hunting around for different options. I've settled on Hansen trays for Metric, Kobalt trays for SAE, and a VIM 444 tray for the impact, 1/2 chrome, and bit sockets.

http://www.tooltopia.com/vim-v444.aspx

Here is how it currently sits. Still need to get the 1/4 Hansen, and the VIM tray. The Gearwrench driver hasn't found a home yet...

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Custom Title Honors

you're in maryland too????

Yep, so is 88. I'm in South County. South of Edgewater.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10