Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Osama Bin Laden is DEAD!

Default Re: Osama Bin Laden is DEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Maybe I was wrong, vengeance, ideological fervor, and generalized hatred are not only sound political views but they also make for good business models and snappy coffee mugs! LOL! OMG people, I think we might just all be lunatics, East, West, young and old. One huge group of nut-cases.
    Oh god, t-shirts! I suppose at least someone is making money from this - the soldiers who took him down are active military personnal and therefore can't claim the bounty!

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    Oh god, t-shirts!
    Hahahaha! Seriously dude, was there ever a doubt? There have probably been power-sellers on eBay sittin' on these bad boys for a decade.

Boston went NUTS. There were thousands of people marching the streets. They all marched to the common and were chanting "USA!"

I was talking to some of the europeans at my school, and they said that their parents cheered for the US. Not sure how many people found this that "huge," it is a big step, but the war is not over and Al-Qaeda still exists.
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Hahahaha! Seriously dude, was there ever a doubt? There have probably been power-sellers on eBay sittin' on these bad boys for a decade.
    In other news, this destroys my answer to that question 'if you could invite any living people on earth round for dinner, who would you bring?'. My answer to that was always Bin Laden, Mr T and Hulk Hogan, because I would get to watch an awesome tag team match and then get to split the reward.

Also note the priceless tag on the google map for abottabad: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.16...169167,73.2425

its an election technique... to cope with the leaked cables...
    remember... one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter...
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

The U.S. government is "ensuring [bin Laden's body] is handled in accordance with Islamic practice and tradition. It's something we take seriously and therefore it's being handled in an appropriate manner."

I have three points Agree/ disagree this is just how i feel .
    I have mixed feelings about this quote one one hand it shows that we are different than the terrorists.
    On the other hand all ican say is Really, Really after what he did .
    Charles Mansion never killed anybody either. still Murder to me even more so a coward . We already knew this .

1. My first point

I wonder how much it would cost to ship a vile of my urine to Pakistan so i could give him the last rites i think he deserves .

2. I respect and love our military with all that i am From the Seal team that got That Bastard to the National Guard that has worked non stop durint the Tragedy. We had during the tornado here.
    Esically the Mp's that were keeping things under control and safe for everybody . When the local wal mart . Murphy oil reopened.

Bringing things that were desperately needed .

3 I would like to thank all the Military top to bottom for everything you do .

It would be my honor to buy the first round for that Seal team .
    If any Military are ever in the Guntersville / Albertville area .
    It would be my honor to buy you a round too.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

we call others criminals for having technologies we consider standard.
    Ok, yeah, I do agree on that...but then we also don't let our civilian population have a lot of those technologies..so take from that what you will. *shrugs* Technology restrictions like that are a really slippery slope, but sometimes they are well founded. I mean, would you really want someone like Kim Jong Il to have nuclear armaments at his disposal?

Our governments need to start learning about Islam. Without those in command knowing why Sunnis and Shias still fight, how do we have a hope of stopping them?
    Do you really think we're led by such incompetent morons that they don't already know this? We know exactly why Israel and Palestine fight each other and have known pretty much since they started fighting...that doesn't mean we can suddenly swoop in and make them stop. It's not the knowledge that is the problem; it's what to do with that knowledge.

What we can do is try harder to minimise civilian casualties, and how about not having such overtly interventionist foreign policies in the first place?
    Sorry, I don't mean to turn this into a political sh**fest, but what exactly would you propose to further minimize civilian casualties that is not already being done? Seriously. I'm not being rhetorical here. If you have some great ideas, I'm sure a lot of people would love to hear them. Contrary to popular belief, not all Americans are bloodthirsty xehophobes that want to kill everyone in the Middle East.

Interventionist foreign policy is another matter; one that, I think, is based in global economic policy. You can't have a functioning global economy without guaranteed, safe transportation around the world. As for the interventionist policy for any specific situation, there are various other reasons; some good, some bad, most specific to that situation.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Ok, yeah, I do agree on that...but then we also don't let our civilian population have a lot of those technologies..so take from that what you will. *shrugs* Technology restrictions like that are a really slippery slope, but sometimes they are well founded. I mean, would you really want someone like Kim Jong Il to have nuclear armaments at his disposal?
    Whether I want him to or not, I don't think we have a right to stop countries acquiring technologies we've had for 60 years
    Do you really think we're led by such incompetent morons that they don't already know this? We know exactly why Israel and Palestine fight each other and have known pretty much since they started fighting...that doesn't mean we can suddenly swoop in and make them stop. It's not the knowledge that is the problem; it's what to do with that knowledge.
    Yes. Really.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/op...pagewanted=all
    Take Representative Terry Everett, a seven-term Alabama Republican who is vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence.
    “Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?” I asked him a few weeks ago.
    Mr. Everett responded with a low chuckle. He thought for a moment: “One’s in one location, another’s in another location. No, to be honest with you, I don’t know. I thought it was differences in their religion, different families or something.”
    To his credit, he asked me to explain the differences. I told him briefly about the schism that developed after the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and how Iraq and Iran are majority Shiite nations while the rest of the Muslim world is mostly Sunni. “Now that you’ve explained it to me,” he replied, “what occurs to me is that it makes what we’re doing over there extremely difficult, not only in Iraq but that whole area.”
    As for the Israelis and Palestinians, the British played a huge part in that post-WW1...

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this into a political sh**fest, but what exactly would you propose to further minimize civilian casualties that is not already being done? Seriously. I'm not being rhetorical here. If you have some great ideas, I'm sure a lot of people would love to hear them. Contrary to popular belief, not all Americans are bloodthirsty xehophobes that want to kill everyone in the Middle East.
    Okay, how about no missile strikes in residential areas. Preference placed on small arms, rather than long range ordnance. Increase the level of proof required to identify targets remotely. Outlawing cluster bombs (something the US is yet to do). Are we that disinterested in other countries' civilians we allow tens of thousands to go to their graves? Does that not interfere ideaologically with our mission statement?

I didn't suggest all Americans are bloodthirsty xenophobes. But many are.

Interventionist foreign policy is another matter; one that, I think, is based in global economic policy. You can't have a functioning global economy without guaranteed, safe transportation around the world. As for the interventionist policy for any specific situation, there are various other reasons; some good, some bad, most specific to that situation.
    I agree interventionist policy is a broader issue - I'll clarify what I think here - our countries can't directly control what other countries do. However, we can control our own actions. And we can't sink to the level of terrorists - if we're knowingly killing civilians with tanks and helicopters, how are we any better than someone doing the same with suicide bombs and IEDs?

Whether I dislike their governments or not, I can not control the policy of these middle eastern countries. However, my vote influences my own country's policy - and as citizens/subjects we can and do hold our governments accountable. This is why I am more critical of my own country's actions - because, even if just a little, my voice matters here. It doesn't matter one bit in Iran!

Because one person is representitive of an entire countries knowledge... there are idiots in politics. Always have been, always will be, that doesn't make all political figureheads ignorant of a issue. I'm sure I could find a British politician that made a stupid comment. 15 min on Google will give anyone a basic understanding of the problem, if it doesn't pertain to the mission then they probably wont worry about it... while general knowledge is nice, its not always pertinent... sidenote... its a load of bullhockey how people from other nations treat the us as a idiot country with a hero complex... many of the areas that we ship troops to request our aid, we have huge debt, yet still ship out aid to almost any country that requests it.... it wild be nice if you look into an unbiased news source, and do some serious research into what actually happens here before you open your maw. Its annoying, and just as ignorant and arrogant as you claim America to be...
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    Because one person is representitive of an entire countries knowledge... there are idiots in politics.
    Read the source. Not just one. If you read more about this guy's questions, over half the people involved, the people coordinating these intelligence agencies and troops on the ground don't even understand why, fundamentally, it's happening. That is extremely serious.
    I'm sure I could find a British politician that made a stupid comment.
    I totally agree. I'm not suggesting British politicians are any better
    15 min on Google will give anyone a basic understanding of the problem, if it doesn't pertain to the mission then they probably wont worry about it...
    Okay, a few things. Yes the wikipedia article might give a basic outline, but not enough for someone whose job it is. It's highly important because it was pushing Iraq into civil war - it's also fundamental in understanding the relationship of Arab nations and Al Qaeda. It's not a pub quiz ffs!
    its a load of bullhockey how people from other nations treat the us as a idiot country with a hero complex...many of the areas that we ship troops to request our aid, we have huge debt, yet still ship out aid to almost any country that requests it.... it wild be nice if you look into an unbiased news source, and do some serious research into what actually happens here before you open your maw. Its annoying, and just as ignorant and arrogant as you claim America to be...
    You don't know a thing about what I know, where I read my news. America's record of support, especially for natural disasters, is unsurpassed, your troops were first on the ground in the tsunamis of recent years. America's legacy in terms of interventionist military action, 1960 onwards, not quite so exemplary.

Almost all of what I posted before is also relevant to my own country - we're allies in this conflict. You are calling me ignorant and arrogant, why? Does noone care about tens of thousands of dead civilians in the middle east? We've seen so many posts about the victims of 9/11, about our own servicemen and women, what about them? Can we simply take no responsibility by describing them as collateral damage?

You haven't even read the source link I posted, which raises MASSIVE questions about the way our governments are running a religious conflict without knowing the most basic facts about the religion involved...

I am NOT taking an anti-USA stance here. I am simply trying to make the point that, at times, the coalition's actions have had disastruous consequences, thousands people have died because of it, and no amount of jingoism can hide that.