Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High CPU temps

Default Re: High CPU temps

I assembled the loop below water. In my bathtub
    Problem was that the nozzle I used to fill the bathtub forces air into the water. A few days later all that air had formed bubbles all around my system. Will definitely fill it with buckets next time -_-

Worst part is that I probably still have bubbles in my rad since it's not the same temp everywhere.

Watercooling is quite a hassle compared to air. But it'd be boring if it wasn't.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

For the radiator, try tipping the case (or rad outside the case) so that the end with the hookups is higher than the rest of the rad. That will force the air bubbles out the outlet.

Also, as a side note, I would recommend filling your loop with distilled water with a biocide, not tap water.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I thought about filling it with distilled water but I don't think the system is clean enough for it to stay distilled very long. In case of a leak I'm screwed either way. The biocide is a good idea however. I could easily put some of that in the loop.

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

The idea with using distilled water is that you start out with fewer contaminants Yes, you're right, it will quickly gain contaminants, but you end up with less if you start with none.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

lol. sounds like my anti bubble technique... i started buying clear top blocks because its a bit easier to see bubbles in the block... and i like seeing the coolant... Glad to hear you got it resolved. btw, 60 is normal for an i7 under load?
    Not dead yet

That's still too high I think. If you look at this review of the block.

-TheOatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by Diamon View Post
    That's still too high I think. If you look at this review of the block.
    That review used a 3x120 with high-performance Noctua fans. Unless you have the same or better, 60C under full load is pretty good. Ambient temp plays a huge role too.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

What fan setup are you using, Diamon? A 3x120 only has ~10% more simple surface area than a 2x140 (ie, 120*120*3 vs 140*140*2), and the Black Ice GTX series are thicker (55.7mm vs 34mm) than that Swiftech, and I think the fin density is higher as well. Long story short though, the best radiator in the world isn't going to perform its best if there's not sufficient airflow through it. If you can fit it in, I would recommend doing a push-pull fan setup.
    --Benjamin Franklin

The rad is mounted just below 2 230mm fans. I suspect the air is flowing around the rad and through the fans rather then through it. I'll try cooling the rad with compressed air and see what temps I get. Once again, thanks for the advice

-TheOatmeal

Is there space underneath the rad to mount two 140mm fans on it? That would funnel a lot more air through the rad and shouldn't interfere with the operation of the 230mm fans, like putting 140mm fans on top, between the rad and the 230mm's would. I think if no air at all were going through the rad, you would be getting even higher temps than you are, but it sounds like there's definitely not as much air passing through them as should be.
    --Benjamin Franklin