Thread: Is this enough to power this thing...

Fresh Paint

Default Is this enough to power this thing...

First things first, so hello everybody

What I would like to ask is - my power supply is 400W (tracer 4life/400 to be precise).
    I would like to put GForce 7950 GX2 into my computer (now it's running on much older graphics card). Is my power unit enough for this graphics? I was unable to find info about 7950 power consumption.
    I don't know what else should I write about my computer. CPU is Athlon 3200+ @ 2GHz, 3x 1GB DDR RAM

If this power is enough, then will it be enough to feed two such graphic cards linked in SLI?

If none of these options is possible (niether single, nor double graphics), then what power unit should I have to feed two these graphic cards?

Thanks for any help.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Is this enough to power this thing...

Check this calculator out for a general idea of what PSU power level you'll need.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I can't find much info on the Tracer 4life (or Tracer in general), so I can't comment on the quality of that unit.

Given the components you mentioned, I'm gonna way one of two situations:
    1) If your PSU is a quality unit that can actually put out a solid 400W healthily, then you should be fine.
    2) If your PSU is not a quality unit, you should probably replace it anyway.

A deeper question, however...do you already have the 7950 GX2? If not, how much are you expecting to pay for it. That's a very old card by now, so you could probably get a mid-range card from a much newer line for about the same price and get better performance.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Is this enough to power this thing...

thx a lot for the info, and the link.

and about the graphics. the motherboard is already 6 years old, and it doesn't help me with choosing components. I did some research before buying (yes, I already got 7950) and it was the best choise for the amount of money I was ready to pay.