Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

Default Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

Just finished my latest Intel Socket 775 review.
    http://www.bayreviews.com/computers/18374
    I was able to hit 3.125Ghz on air cooling using a Scythe SCMN-1100 MINE Rev.B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler. The processor does an impressive job for a Celeron, especially when compared to the Intel E8600.

Would the E3300 work in a bargain gaming rig? I think so!

Here are the performance charts:

Default Re: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 Overclocking Review.

My 3GHZ core 2 is starting to feel its age. I'd never even consider putting one in a PC today, unless it was strictly for word processing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    My 3GHZ core 2 is starting to feel its age. I'd never even consider putting one in a PC today, unless it was strictly for word processing etc.
    How so?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

yea how so? my C2Q Q6600 is more than fast enough for anything I do with it. why spend money on an i-series, adn the motherboard and memory to go with it, when the core series still works more than adequately for 90% of the population?

I mean hell, all 5 of the computers here at my work are still P4, ranging from 1.8GHz to 2.8GHz, all with ~1GB RAM, and they're still not even worked 100%

i think he was reffering to a c2d, and going from a dual core to a quad core made a HUGE difference. its like night and day, while a dual core is good for word processing and such, for gaming i would have to give it a pass.
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    i think he was reffering to a c2d, and going from a dual core to a quad core made a HUGE difference. its like night and day, while a dual core is good for word processing and such, for gaming i would have to give it a pass.
    If you look at my SuperPi chart, a lowly dual core E8600 leads the pack. We all know spending $$$ on a great SLI video card is going to do more than any expensive i7 processor.

I guess I need to put some $ in a NVIDIA GTX for BayReviews and test it out on a few mobo configs before making any more conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    How so?
    Recent games are considerably held back by it at high settings. Even for movie editing etc., modern applications are optimised for 4 core CPUs. Then, of course, there's the multitasking.

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    yea how so? my C2Q Q6600 is more than fast enough for anything I do with it. why spend money on an i-series, adn the motherboard and memory to go with it, when the core series still works more than adequately for 90% of the population?

I mean hell, all 5 of the computers here at my work are still P4, ranging from 1.8GHz to 2.8GHz, all with ~1GB RAM, and they're still not even worked 100%
    Firstly, in my own experience, a Q6600 is way faster even in single threaded applications than either an E3400 or similar low end C2D based CPU.

Secondly, the P4 computers are your work are loaded at 100% at the very least when opening programs, loading windows, and playing back HD Youtube. I still have my P4 rig, and it struggles with what I'd describe today as normal everyday use.

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    If you look at my SuperPi chart, a lowly dual core E8600 leads the pack. We all know spending $$$ on a great SLI video card is going to do more than any expensive i7 processor.

I guess I need to put some $ in a NVIDIA GTX for BayReviews and test it out on a few mobo configs before making any more conclusions.
    Firstly, the "lowly" (>£100...) dual core E8600 leads the pack because of its massive cache per core and very high stock clock speed. Remember that SuperPi is entirely single threaded.

Secondly, an E8600 is one hell of a lot faster than an E3400 or similar low end C2D CPU.

Thirdly, I think you'll find that many modern games will show huge gains from an upgrade to a modern quad core CPU, especially from a weaker dual core, if they already have a powerful GPU.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I have, iirc, an E3400 (or maybe E3200..I forget) in my server, and I agree, they're good, solid chips. The small L2 cache would have an affect on any gaming though, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    Heheh, try going from single core to quad core. That's what I did with my current system. Athlon 64 FX-55 to C2Q 9450. The difference was really, as you said, night and day...even coming from one of the most powerful single-core CPUs ever made.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    Recent games are considerably held back by it at high settings. Even for movie editing etc., modern applications are optimised for 4 core CPUs. Then, of course, there's the multitasking.
    I was hoping to point out that you can go with a cheap E3300 now and focus on the SLI card since many of these Socket 775 mobos can run quad core chips.

The ASUS P5QL is running with a QX9650 today and here are some initial results.

wPrime 1024M:
    QX9650 @ 3.66Ghz - 387.941
    QX9650 @ 3.00Ghz - 473.851
    E3300 @ 3.00Ghz - 948.12

Obviously, the Intel quad core is faster.

WIN 4 Bibbax.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

The word Celeron just bugs me. It could be a Quad Core Celeron and I still wouldn't get one.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440