Thread: Putting a Mini-PCI WLAN Card in a Desktop

Smile Putting a Mini-PCI WLAN Card in a Desktop

Ok before you ask WHY would I want to do this, let me explain.

I currently have a Netgear WPN111 usb wireless adapter - which I have had for about 4 years now? Its well, to put it nicely - okay. Its sort of on its last legs the poor thing - due to
    - me throwing it across the room numerous times in fits of rage at it (i.e. network dropping out, windows not playing ball),
    - me accidentally hitting into it (ive moved the tower since) when it was plugged into a front USB port - bending it slightly out of shape
    - rolling over it in a chair. It comes with this 2m extension cable and seeing as i have to 'reset' it often (ill explain below), i usually drop it around my feet - and because of this i end up running over it now and again with an office chair, with me on it.

But surprisingly it still works. So props to Netgear for making a 'durable' device.

Okay now the problems (not to do with me). The device seemed to be made directly for WinXP - not Vista or 7. And for as long as I have had my own machine (i brought the WPN111 with my first computer) ive always had either Vista or 7 (just 7 now). But because of it being bespoke for WinXP - the driver disc is just for XP. Lovely netgear did provide Vista drivers, which sort-of worked. And W7 sorts out the drivers itself - so its currently running on what it was given at the start - when i first plugged it in. But it still only partially works.

It connects and everything fine, and the connection is alright. I dont drop out (on W7), unlike when i was on Vista. But when my machine either (for more than 30 mins for each one):
    - Locks
    - Goes into screensaver/sleep
    On resume - Windows does its party-trick of 'lets not see the device'. Causing me to find the dongle, unplug and then re-plug the bloody thing for Windows to go 'HEY, a device!'. But this doesnt always happen - sometimes causing me to restart the machine.

Anyway, so to avoid this problem i've looked to getting a new card - maybe one that works properly with W7. Im thinking of getting something to be actually inside the box - so i dont hit it or run over it anymore.

Now i am cheap - and like to re-use things i already have. And so i have an old Acer laptop sitting in the cupboard as its pretty much dead (dodgy HDD chip) - but its not all to waste, as it has a perfectly working WLAN card it in! One of the new ones that connects by that 'MiniPCI Express' interface. So i was wondering; could i plug that into my desktop?

I doubt that it will just slot happily into one of my pre-existing PCI slots... so what sort of Adaptor would i be looking at here? (links please!)

I have looked myself, but all i come up with is PCI>PCMCIA card adaptors.

Thanks!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Putting a Mini-PCI WLAN Card in a Desktop

Well, since mini-PCIe is actually proper PCIe, just in a different form, yes, electrically you can do that.

That being said, it will almost definitely be cheaper to just buy a new USB wifi dongle.

Here's an adapter that would do what you want:
    http://www.hwtools.net/adapter/mp1.html

Or, if you're handy with a soldering iron, here's the pinouts for
    mini-PCIe
    PCIe

TBH, if I were you, I would just pick up a cheap wifi usb dongle.

EDIT:
    Here's a dirt cheap one for ya:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/802-11b...-adapter-50856
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV