Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandcrawler project

Default Re: Sandcrawler project

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

LMAO!! I gotta save me that image, that's awesome! I think I may see if I can incorporate a printout of it in the crawler somewhere, although I'll probably change the word "that" to "this" so it makes grammatical sense in its new context...I can't put it in the cockpit because it's already sealed off, but I have a couple other ideas.

more updates hopefully tonight...I'm hoping to finish getting the roof re-done, and getting the last 8 LEDs in place, soldered, and lit....
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

LOL, glad you like it!!

Maybe you can hide it inside the mod as an easteregg

thanks for the lighting compliments guys, that means a lot coming from such a skilled modding community!
    small update - I re-did the top. first off, pic of what it used to look like (basically, hinged flaps covering the fan openings):

I did away with the flaps, and recessed the area that used to be the front flap; "machinery" and such will eventually go in there

Lastly, I won't be able to do this til Sunday probably, but this is the rear area sans roof panels (I need to remake them, they're not quite shaped right..grrr...). note the wires sticking out; these will be attached to the remaining 8 LEDs (4 per side) to complete the lighting:

I've finished the rear area roof and lights...pics tonight (hopefully). then it'll be off to the local art supply store to see if I can score me some sculpting clay and molding/casting materials. I'm thinking I'll sculpt some of the bigger bits of machinery on the rear roof and rear vertical wall(s), then cast it twice so as to have identical pieces for each half. I'll use old leftover model pieces for the smaller machinery bits. But mainly the sculpting approach is to practice for my next project...building my girlfriend a computer. I have all the parts (mostly it's leftover from when I upgraded mine back in May), but the case will be a challenge...Rivendell. Whole kit'n'kaboodle. hopefully working waterfalls...I'm nothing if not ambitious LOL separate worklog for that one at some point here. I do have some landscape-building experience, just check out my airplane diorama thread in the Misc. projects section.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    Rivendell.
    This I must see. Also, working waterfalls are a must Extra points if you work them into a WC loop.

you know, I *did* think about that. but I've vetoed the idea on 2 counts (correct me if I'm wrong on #1, as that would then eliminate #2): 1. a water cooling system must be fully contained to prevent evaporation and contamination. 2. that means I'd have to cover the waterfalls, which would look weird. 3. just thought of a 3rd reason....just had to spend $400 more fixing my truck than I was expecting, so I don't have the $$ for WC at the moment.
    We'll see though, my sandcrawler has taught me much about the value of allowing flexibility in the design for changes as the build progresses. Speaking of that flexibility, some new pics of the rear roof area and the last 8 lights, which bring the total to 143. In one of the photos I left a top access panel open; this serves no aesthetic purpose, it's only there if something goes wonky with the lights, I didn't want them permanently sealed off.

View of the rearmost interior compartment. The other side houses the power supply, so only the upper section opens up, as opposed to this side, which will house a full blown engine room with upper and lower sections.

This last shot is looking straight up into the front loading area. Gives you a better idea of just how many lights are in there.

Stay tuned...more soon!

holy LEDs. lol and yeah, it most likely would be better to enclose the water loop, but I would ask someone more knowledgeable about that before drawing a conclusion. I bet someone will know for sure on here, we have some wc gurus onboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Damn, that's a well-lit cargo bay!

+rep
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Just wait til I add the crane