Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turning my 1982 Porsche 911 SC Targa to "the one i always wanted"

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Turning my 1982 Porsche 911 SC Targa to "the one i always wanted"

Another thought for a sort of half-way step between the trombone cooler and a straight up radiator that would give you real high flow would be to get some flat copper tube (or even round tube) with the same inside cross-section area as the original cooler tube, then fold that over itself a lot, kinda like a radiator without the fins. It would also probably be a lot cheaper than $200.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Yeah I mean if I can keep my temps at least to 220F or below it would be nice for hot days. Anything 75F and under on a normal temp day is no biggie, but on days where it's in the 80s and 90s is when the temp starts climbing. Yesterday (before i cleaned off the cooler and the lines) it got up to 240F on the temp gauge which is borderline "Pull over and let me cool off!" temp.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    Yeah I mean if I can keep my temps at least to 220F or below it would be nice for hot days. Anything 75F and under on a normal temp day is no biggie, but on days where it's in the 80s and 90s is when the temp starts climbing. Yesterday (before i cleaned off the cooler and the lines) it got up to 240F on the temp gauge which is borderline "Pull over and let me cool off!" temp.

the only solution here is to gather 1,000's of CPU heatsinks and epoxy them to your engine block.

Twigs, you crack me up man, love your posts.

Oil cooler scoop came in today! AWWWWW YEAHHHHH! I had to shave some material off to make it fit right, but it took maybe 10-15 minutes and a dremel to get it right. I like how it looks. It should be a nice substantial drop in temperatures too. Almost 90 degrees out today, so let's hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    Oil cooler scoop came in today! AWWWWW YEAHHHHH! I had to shave some material off to make it fit right, but it took maybe 10-15 minutes and a dremel to get it right. I like how it looks. It should be a nice substantial drop in temperatures too. Almost 90 degrees out today, so let's hope so!

thats actually pretty sweet.

now carbon fiber it yo.

It's tempting. I am thinking what I might do is try and redirect the air right onto the scoop, so I may keep the scoop the way it is, but use the leftover CF that I do have to make something to redirect air right onto the cooler. . Thing is, the horns are slightly in the way. That said it actually DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE! I am thinking since the wiring is very long, I can more than likely move the horns to the other side of the car.

I was a bit pessimistic because I thought "Well.. I AM using the stock cooler... it is not the best design and really.... how much difference could it make?" A LOT!

Today was one of the hottest days I've driven the car in, it was just a hair over 90 degrees F out. The last day I drove it to Bend, it reached close to half way just on the highway! Pretty nutso. On the highway at a normal speed today the darn thing stayed at about 220, and only once I was almost completely in town did it reach even halfway.

The only downside is, it is COMPLETELY USELESS once you get into traffic in town. For that, I am going to see if I can rig up a fan of some sort and see if I can figure out something else.

So far I have...

- Cleaned off trombone cooler to take crap off the brass, expose brass for better cooling
    - Installed scoop

Successfully dropped my temps in REALLY HOT weather! That is a huge plus and will help engine life, so that makes me very happy.

Temps on the highway on a high 70s-mid 80ss day before I cleaned it, before the scoop.

Temps today with current scoop upgrade and cleaned up lines on a 90 degree day!

That scoop looks really clean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

well okay...I'll admit that is the first time i've ever seen a oil pressure gauge refered to as a "druck press"

You know you could rig a thermister,a relay and a clutch fan and mount that on the oil radiator so it'll kick on at stops or whenever its excessively hot?

With a thermister it'll automatically regulate the voltage to the fan based on how hot its getting (no electronics needed) Just thermal paste and epoxy it near the inlet for the radiator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor

Oh man though, If that is a iron block, You ought to really..really..really...really flush and clean that radiator if you already haven't. Majorbud's Water radiator AND oil radiator were almost clogged with rust "mud" His water pump we are suspecting is clogged with that rust mud as well.

It was so bad, when he flushed the radiator for the first time, the water poured out jet black like ink, Then a deep brown. Finally a semi clear redish color and about 4 hours later after jamming the house in every hole of the radiator it ran clean.

the engine block is going to be disgusting i can already tell.

Druck = Pressure in german

The thermistor and fan idea is a good idea. Just need to find a suitable fan that will fit in there and do a decent job.

As to the flush... There is no radiator in this car, it is air-oil cooled by about 12 quarts of oil

The engine isn't all that dirty... I cleaned the entire thing up while it was out of the car.