Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CES 2011: Trace's Log

Default CES 2011: Trace's Log

The first thing at CES that caught my eye was this tablet from Motion Computing. It runs an Intel Atom processor and Windows 7. For more info, head over to http://motioncomputing.com

The next item that I saw that is noteworthy is AMD's APU. Codenamed Zacate, this chip combines a CPU, GPU, and northbridge into one.

As soon as 11AM rolls around tomorrow, I'll reveal some MSI stuff that everyone will want to see.

That's all for tonight. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Trace; 01-05-2011 at 03:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Default Re: CES 2011: Trace's Log

Click the above picture for a full resolution shot.

What you see above is Intel's latest offering: the 2nd generation core codenamed Sandy Bridge. It features a GPU and CPU on the same piece of silicon. More details later!

Later:

At Intel's press conference this morning, they unleashed some powerful new features. These features are:
    • Intel Insider
    • Intel Quicksync Video
    • Inteo WiDi 2.0

Some details about these features are as follows

Intel Insider:
    This new feature provides a end-to-end secure streaming solution which will allow studios to release films protected with a hardware-based security. This technology offers a "proactive queue" capability which allows consumers to pre-download movies before the release date and watch those films the day they are released, without waiting on the mail, or downloading during peak times. Intel worked closely with movie studios to develop this technology. Expect entertainment companies to announce movie services throughout the year.

Intel WirelessDisplay (WiDi):
    Intel announced version 2.0 of their WiDi technology. New features included with this release is the ability to stream full 1080p content to your big-screen TV. This technology is released in conjunction with Intel Insider so that you can use Intel Insider to rent movies and then stream them to your TV.

Intel Quick Sync Video:
    This technology is based upon the merger of the CPU and GPU onto a single piece of silicon. Due to this, and the shared L3 cache, Intel claims a 4-minute HD video file can be converted to play on an iPod in just 16 seconds. Intel claims that this new transcoding technology is faster than the most powerful discrete graphics card

In addition to these powerful new features, Intel officially announced the launch of the second generation Intel Core processors. The official tagline for these new processors is "Visibly Smart" and most people would agree to that effect. At the press conference, Intel demonstrated WoW Cataclysm being played using both a discrete GFX Card and Sandy Bridge's new iGPU and I was unable to tell which was which.

According to Intel, this iGPU is the industry's first 32nm GPU ever. This new chip, once again according to Intel, will provide 1/3 of the companies revenue this year and will add $125Billion to the PC industry. At today's press conference, Intel officially announced 20 new processors. That's right, 20! These new processors include both desktop and mobile versions with the same nomenclature we have come to expect: i3, i5, and i7.

The differences between the 3 lines remain the same as the last generation. The i3 and i7 lines feature Intel Hyperthreading, while the i5 and i7 lines feature Intel Turbo Boost. The new Sandy Bridge components come in both dual- and quad-core varieties yielding anywhere from 2 to 8 threads.

More pictures to come later.
    Last edited by Trace; 01-05-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Mmmm, Sandy... I heard slave talking about the overclocking potential of the $300 Sandy Bridge i7....beating out a 980X... 8D WANT!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

We may just be getting one for review...I'll know full details tomorrow.
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

MSI Update:

Quote Originally Posted by MSI Press Release
    The latest additions to MSI’s components range include Intel next generation Sandy Bridge P67 and H67 motherboards series featuring Military Class II components and the OC Genie II overclocking wizard, which are implemented in both series for the first time. The Intel P67/H67 mainboard series from MSI is a complete single solution for high quality, high stability and high performance.

Additionally, a number of MSI-exclusive features have been equipped on the Intel P67/H67 mainboard series. These include:
    • Instant OC real-time OC function in Control Center II
    • Graphical Unified EFI BIOS Interface
    • Multiple BIOS recovery design
    • Super Charger for quick charge of iPad, iPhone and other smart phones
    • THX TruStudio PRO surround sound technology
    • USB3.0 and native SATA 6Gb/s technologies to significantly enhance data transfer speeds
    So...who wants to see some photos???

This is a standard ATX-sized 1155 Motherboard from MSI

This motherboard is the eATX form factor is is massive
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

Only 2-channel ddr3? 0_o
    I was hoping for at least 4 .
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

For some reason, I tend to expect that from the LGA2011 platform

AMD meetings in 1 hour. Expect updates around 5, or possibly live updates.

Pre-meeting info:

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Press Release
    AMD Fusion is a new approach to processor design and software development, delivering powerful CPU and GPU capabilities for HD video, 3D and data-intensive workloads in a single-die processor called an Accelerated Processing Unit (APU). AMD Fusion APUs unleash additional computational horsepower, enabling breakthroughs in visual computing and performance all within thin and light device form factors.
    The AMD Fusion Family of APUs is being launched at CES, addressing the value through mainstream segments of the PC market:
    • AMD E-Series APU (formerly codenamed “Zacate”) – an 18-watt TDP APU for ultrathin, mainstream and value notebooks as well as desktops and all-in-ones.
    • AMD C-Series APU (formerly codenamed “Ontario”) – a 9-watt APU for HD netbooks and small form factor desktops and devices such as tablets.
    • The 32nm AMD A-Series APU (formerly codenamed “Llano”) - includes up to four x86 cores and is primarily intended for performance and mainstream notebooks and mainstream desktops. The A-Series APUs are scheduled to ship in the first half of 2011 and appear in products mid-year.
    And some pictures:

A slide detailing the new fusion APU

A picture of AMD's 6900M MXM card
    Last edited by Trace; 01-05-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ooooh, do we get to hear news about Bulldozer?? Please?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Ooooh, do we get to hear news about Bulldozer?? Please?
    Hmm...How do I tell this to you...

I'm under NDA... Sorry bud. Can't tell you anything I learned. If I even learned anything...

Wait, I can tell you this--It's due out over summer
    Last edited by Trace; 01-05-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

So let's cover AMD's APUs and Mobile GPUs, which is what I discussed today during my meetings.

First off, AMD's new APUs

These APUs that were released are incredible, to say the least. As seen in the slide a few pages up, the APU uses just 39% of the power of a similar system. A single-core APU uses 9 watts, while a dual-core APU uses a mere 18. These APUs provide 11x the graphics performance of an Intel Atom based system, while giving AMD an advantage on battery life.

The 9 watt, single-core APUs will be mainly in netbook style form-factors ranging in price from $200-$350, whereas the 18 watt, dual-core APUs will be in systems as large as 15" screens and will range in price from $350-$500.

I got a chance to mess around with these APUs and I am stunned. A pre-production version running at 1Ghz played full HD video without stutter or lag. In addition, while it was playing the video, I was able to continue using the rest of the PC without experiencing any lag or delay at all. The person I was speaking with said he is able to play WoW on medium settings on an 11.6" dual-core APU without issue.

AMD truly has an Atom killer here. Intel needs to step up the Atom performance to be able to continue competing in the Netbook market, as these new APUs will soon dominate it.

Moving on: In addition to these APUs, AMD demonstrated a full line up of discrete mobile GPUs.

So far, AMD has shipped over 18.5 million DX11 mobile GPUs and demands 60% market-share of the mobile discrete GPU market.

The new line up of 6000M series GPUs contains compatibility for GDDR5, and as such, AMD is pushing GDDR5 acceptance into all 6000M series GPUs, from the low-end to the ultra-high-end.

The full line up of AMD mobile GPUs
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge