Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defragged to death?

Default Re: Defragged to death?

I think it is, but the drive installed windows okay, and all his music is on his ipod, he is just missing his old school docs, which he will now be saving on flashdrives (he had no backup previously) and he should be getting a new laptop soon
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Since the drive is working now I'm gonna say that the drive probably did not overheat (you have have to be seriously trying to overheat a HDD), but instead something froze/hung/royally screwed up in some other way during the defrag process. You said it was hung when you got back to it and you power-cycled it? Either something broke in the defrag utility or it was just really slow in responding and something got lost/misplaced when you power-cycled it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Since the drive is working now I'm gonna say that the drive probably did not overheat (you have have to be seriously trying to overheat a HDD), but instead something froze/hung/royally screwed up in some other way during the defrag process. You said it was hung when you got back to it and you power-cycled it? Either something broke in the defrag utility or it was just really slow in responding and something got lost/misplaced when you power-cycled it.
    technically it power cycled itself for some unknown reason. i came back to a windows is loading screen with no logo. my mom who was next to it said it had been sitting on that screen for an hour or so
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

...well that's...uhm...weird. Yeah, I'm gonna stick with the 'something got lost when it powercycled' theory. The defragger is not supposed to restart the computer, so something else must have decided it needed to reboot (Windows does that sometimes ) or some bsod/etc failure made it reboot...either way, this is a great example of why rebooting in the middle of a defrag is a bad idea.

I'm curious; what tools did your friend use to try and get data off it? The fact that it was trying to boot at all means that the filesystem was still intact, and even if that weren't the case, no more than one or two files should have been garbled at all, and none that . You should have been able to pull the files off with a data recovery tool.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I love the smell of dying hard drives in the morning.. or afternoon. Any time really.. I love the challenge of data recovery!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I love the smell of dying hard drives in the morning.. or afternoon. Any time really.. I love the challenge of data recovery!
    then I have a 500GB SATA Seagate in front of me with a dead logic board and a couple hundred GBs worth of pics, music and videos that still need to come off of it

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Other than that, I've had a couple PSU blow up on me...well, capacitors in PSUs anyway...makes a huge popping sound...and then the smoke comes..
    You just have to keep the smoke in. Block off all of the vents, and you won't have that problem; all of the magic smoke will stay inside, and it won't die that way.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.