Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with cooling issue.

Fresh Paint

Default Need help with cooling issue.

Hi all.

I just recently got an EVGA GTX 460 and a new powersupply and have been having some problems since.

I'll be playing a game for about 10-20 minutes when all of a sudden the frames per second drops a lot.

I'm pretty sure my system is overheating when it gets pushed (someone recommended a program called "speedfan" and it shows the GPU is getting mid to high 80 degrees celsius, my Q6600 proccessor is showing high 90's on all four cores)

Can anyone recommend some good, not crazy expensive cooling systems that should help? My case is a Thermaltake Soprano if that helps at all.

Thanks

Default Re: Need help with cooling issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BenV.2 View Post
    Hi all.

I just recently got an EVGA GTX 460 and a new powersupply and have been having some problems since.

I'll be playing a game for about 10-20 minutes when all of a sudden the frames per second drops a lot.

I'm pretty sure my system is overheating when it gets pushed (someone recommended a program called "speedfan" and it shows the GPU is getting mid to high 80 degrees celsius, my Q6600 proccessor is showing high 90's on all four cores)

Can anyone recommend some good, not crazy expensive cooling systems that should help? My case is a Thermaltake Soprano if that helps at all.

Thanks
    Hello, welcome to TBCS.

80C for a GPU, while high, is not going to affect its performance. However, 90+C on your CPU will likely kill it very shortly. I recommend you do not stress it anymore until you get a new cooler or otherwise fix whatever is wrong. 70C for a q6600 is very high, 80-85C risks damage to it, and the high 90s are destroying it.

First, what kind of heatsink is currently installed? Has it been recently removed or otherwise changed and possibly not installed correctly? What kind of case do you have and what kind of airflow do you have through the case? What is the ambient temperature?
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

speed fan sucks for that kind of stuff use hw monitor or core temp. core temp is just cpu hw monitor is for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Actually for monitoring the GPU and speeding up its fans, download EVGA Precision. It even works on non EVGA cards.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ouch! If those temps are correct, then yeah, that's definitely the problem. I'm sure it varies from card to card, but whenever the integrated GF9400 on my old MBB would top 80C my system would BSOD. And yes, 90C on any CPU is very bad. ...well, not quite very bad on a P4 EE, but still...

Could you post pics, make, model, etc of your current cooling system(s)?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Um I'm not very computer savvy I'll try and answer all those. The case is a thermaltake soprano, it come with one fan on the front, one on the side and one on the back. The front one is sucking in air, the other two are blowing air out.

All the cooling is whatever comes standard on the card and other bits.
    Ambient temps range from 20 degrees to mid 30's.

Icould post some pics tomorrow if you want them?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

yes pics would help

Quote Originally Posted by BenV.2 View Post
    Um I'm not very computer savvy I'll try and answer all those. The case is a thermaltake soprano, it come with one fan on the front, one on the side and one on the back. The front one is sucking in air, the other two are blowing air out.

All the cooling is whatever comes standard on the card and other bits.
    Ambient temps range from 20 degrees to mid 30's.

Icould post some pics tomorrow if you want them?
    It's probably not case cooling that's your issue here. You need to take a look at the cooler on your processor itself - just take of the side of the case (the side with the fan in it) and take a photo if you're not sure.

Contrary to one earlier post, yes 80-90 degrees is acceptable for a modern GPU.

It is not acceptable, however, for a Q6600. Download something like realtemp or coretemp to get reliable readings, and DO NOT PUT ANY STRESS ON THAT CPU UNTIL YOU'VE SORTED THIS. That's no gaming, no movie encoding, no epic multitasking. You really will break it.

I'm guessing that what's happened, if you've not changed anything, is that the fan on the CPU cooler has stopped spinning (turn it on with the case off just to see if this is the case?), that the heatsink has lost contact and needs new thermal paste / new screws / new clips. On the other hand, you may have altered fan speed or voltage settings by some bizarre accident.

If the CPU has only been getting hot like this just recently, then a dead heatsink fan may be to blame...or one that's clogged with dust/pet fur/smoke/etc. I'm going to assume that it's a stock Intel heatsink strapped on there, and if that's true then I would suggest an upgrade even if it is working properly.
    775 heatsinks at performance-pcs
    775 heatsinks at xoxide
    775 heatsinks at frozen-cpu
    I personally don't recommend anything under $20US because you'll end up with another stock cooler but with lights and paint...and history would likely repeat itself.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Fresh Paint

Hey guys.

Here are the photos. Exactly how I got it from the store after they installed the new Graphics card and power supply.

Just tell me if you need any more specific photos.