Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your work ethic like?

Default Re: What is your work ethic like?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    I will offer the ones I answer a job and they always refuse saying $10/hr is not enough and they can do nothing and make more in food stamps and unemployment.
    Shoot them. Say..."Gee, I thought $10/hr would be just fine...how does $25/hr to start sound?" When they come in, just shoot them. I'll do it for you for cheap if you like. We can't let these animals breed and raise kids in their own image. Imagine society in 50 years... Uncle Sam would probably look the other way while flashing an AOK.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I will offer the ones I answer a job and they always refuse saying $10/hr is not enough and they can do nothing and make more in food stamps and unemployment.
    ...seriously? Welfare is more than $400/week? That's just absurd... -_^
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Well I am done for the day. The guys are knocking off in 30 min and the initial word on the new guy is that he may be a keeper. Time will tell.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

my brother doesn't work, he collects ss and disability. he worked a few different jobs, but couldnt pay rent, etc because he was getting ~$7-$8/hr. He quit and started collecting again and makes twice from ss and disability than he did working!

I agree that it's bs that he's collecting, but he's got pretty bad ADHD and learning disabilities, so college and learning advanced skills aren't going to happen for him. TBH I'm VERY proud of him for the fact that he's living on his own, and supporting a wife and son

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    ...seriously? Welfare is more than $400/week? That's just absurd... -_^
    Why do you think so many people can live off it? The more rugrats they crank out the more they get.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

my brother doesn't work, he collects ss and disability. he worked a few different jobs, but couldnt pay rent, etc because he was getting ~$7-$8/hr. He quit and started collecting again and makes twice from ss and disability than he did working!

I agree that it's bs that he's collecting, but he's got pretty bad ADHD and learning disabilities, so college and learning advanced skills aren't going to happen for him. TBH I'm VERY proud of him for the fact that he's living on his own, and supporting a wife and son
    Its situations like that where I am ok with people living on SSI or Disability. What I can not stand are the people who are perfectly able to get out and dig a ditch, rod bust, or shovel concrete to support their family.

The other thing I hate is when those people (the too lazy to work) are the first to speak up about economic conditions, or complain about tax legislation. That same friend I mentioned who thinks hes worth more than his skill set will pay is always complaining about taxes being too high and how the economy is killing him......... I just want to go into SNL "Really" mode, and when I am finished, slap him so hard his great great grandmother feels it.

I'm currently in school but we have periods when we work in the factory that's owning the school (the SKF ball/roller bearing company) to get some real-life experience. And I got paired with a class mate. He's exactly like that, wondering why we should work so hard and getting mad at me when I stayed for five minutes longer to finish an assignment the production technician had given us.

I'd say about half the class is that way, and I don't see many in the class that I consider to be just competent people.

Have you read "Atlas shrugged"? Gives you a pretty grim forecast but hopefully it won't go that far.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Shoot them. Say..."Gee, I thought $10/hr would be just fine...how does $25/hr to start sound?" When they come in, just shoot them. I'll do it for you for cheap if you like. We can't let these animals breed and raise kids in their own image. Imagine society in 50 years... Uncle Sam would probably look the other way while flashing an AOK.
    I know I am jumping in here late, but could resist no longer.

I come from a family that has made a living off of welfare. They still do. My mother was perfectly able to work, but didn't _want_ to. Hell she even had a college degree, but felt that the world owed her something so she did nothing except collect food stamps and welfare, drink coffee and smoke cigarettes all day. One of my sisters is now doing the same thing. Hell, half my _blood_ family is like this. They and all of their friends work harder at getting and keeping their welfare than they ever would in a normal job paying the same amount.

At an early age, it was apparent to me that my mom was not going to share her hard earned food with us kids so at the age of 13 I started work full time hanging drywall. I was lucky at the time that my JR. High School was on a block schedule and I was able to get the morning classes. I would get up at 6am, go to school, then leave at 11:30 to go to work for 8 hours. When my mom found out, she demanded my paycheck and even went to court to force my employer to send it to her since I was a minor. I talked to the guy that hired me and I "officially" quit and started working under the table. This went on for over a year. Something I recently found out (just a couple of years ago), is that my employer had rehired me and was paying my SS all that time, but denied I was an employee to my mom.

When I was 14 a couple in the apartments I lived in, found out what was happening and asked that I come live with them, stop working and go back to school. They eventually adopted me (after a nasty court battle with my mom) and I took their last name (my original last name was not from my mother or father and I have no idea where it came from). Even though my "new" parents had good intentions, I was still not their flesh and blood and they did/do treat me differently. I never felt part of their family. I turned to work to get my appreciation and self worth. It worked too well.

I work hard. I play hard. One is the reward from the other, but at times I get confused as to which is which. I mostly choose jobs that are fun to me, but in times of need I have been known to work 3 jobs including glass cleaner at the local car wash. Just about whatever it takes (yes I do have a hint of morals and ethics). My love of work has cost me my family (I am shunned as the white sheep), friends and almost cost me the most important thing in my life. My wife. It took me a couple of years to understand why, but once I was confronted with the cold truth, I saw it and knew I needed to change something or lose the one person in my life that has shown me real love. That said, I am still a work-a-holic, I just don't bring it home with me.

Right or wrong, I do judge people based on work ethic. I can't stand slackers and at work if I have to say something to you twice about your work, the second time comes with a pink slip. I just cannot stand people who show up only for the pay check and will always call them on it. One guy here (no not my boss this time) thinks he is ONLY responsible for his little area, when in fact, during times of high volume, EVERYONE pitches in. During an end of year or end of quarter rush, it is not uncommon to see me or a sales guy running the foam machine in the warehouse or driving the fork lift to load a truck. I said something to him once and he gave me an attitude. I had the COO of the company go talk with him and he has been quite helpful ever since. Now to work on my boss.

My adopted parents did try to influence me and I learned a couple of valuable lessons from both of them.
    One was that the best work is play. At first I never really got it, until my second or third real job. When you love what you do, it is easy to go to work and the day flies by.
    One of the other things I learned from them is that if you pick a career, be the best at it. The best in the world. If that is not possible (it rarely is), then learn to do more than one or two things to support yourself and you will never be out of a job. I think sometimes that I took this one too far. I know how to do many many things to keep myself employed and busy. It seems though, that I always come back to computers since that is my first love. All my extra skills have helped me in one way or another multiple times over. Hell just learning the construction trades I have saved tens of thousands of dollars remodeling my home the last couple of years. And I am still a master taper.

When pay day rolls around I always have a question in the back of my mind; Did I really earn this? Even though I know I did.

OK ramble off...
    Last edited by Airbozo; 11-19-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Disability and welfare are NOT the same thing. A big difference is you brother tried. I know of way too many people who won't even bother trying. I'll admit right now I'm collecting unemployment. Hopefully I'll be called back to my job as this was a slow down layoff. If I were to find out for sure that won't happen it's time to look for a job. I hate this situation but the job paid well enough that unemployment is more than I'd make working for anything less than $11 and hour. I'd much rather be working, but I am getting a bunch of stuff around the house taken care of.

Its situations like that where I am ok with people living on SSI or Disability. What I can not stand are the people who are perfectly able to get out and dig a ditch, rod bust, or shovel concrete to support their family.

The other thing I hate is when those people (the too lazy to work) are the first to speak up about economic conditions, or complain about tax legislation. That same friend I mentioned who thinks hes worth more than his skill set will pay is always complaining about taxes being too high and how the economy is killing him......... I just want to go into SNL "Really" mode, and when I am finished, slap him so hard his great great grandmother feels it.
    This. I can't complain because the bills are getting paid. If that changes or the possibility of not being called back changes I start looking. I'm not working right now because I can afford not to. This is the longest I've gone since I was 17 without a job and it's starting to drive me nuts. I'm hoping to find out sometime between Thanksgiving and Xmas. I work(ed) at a Sara Lee bakery (hot as h#$l year round) their North American bakery division to a company based in Mexico. It would be nice to know one way or another. I'm absolutely not afraid or hard work. I've spent one summer workin on a farm(hard) another summer manually digging trenches for drainage tile(harder). I've also been a partner in a small business. I'm 41 now so some of the physical work I might be a little slower than I used to be. I've got no formal education so my options are slightly limited, but I've also got a class A CDL so if all else fails I go back on the road. As far as work ethic I know I'm not the best, but when there's a job to do I'll do it to the best of my ability. Wow kinda got rambling there.
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

I'm 21 and make sure to never complain about what I'm asked to do, even if it's in left field from my position. Because of this I've done just about every position at the club I work at and then some.

I've been asked some pretty weird things... from making food trips, mopping, making orders for the club, tech work, "going on a mission to find nightmare on elm street DVD somewhere", filling in for security and so on... From this I doubled my pay within a month from 220 a week to ~430 a week and had security added to my schedule.
    I've always been a hard worker but I believe 3.5 months at MCRD helped me realize the true potential that's beyond what would have normally been the breaking point and it feels like 40 hours of work isn't enough... I've been searching for a part time job to fill in my 3 days off or possibly some short shifts before work. If I could get an extra 20 hours or so I'd be content.
    I think what it boils down to is my generation wants something for nothing and feels entitled to more without working for it. I enjoy hard work because it feels like I'm doing something and if it's extremely hard work, it's just motivation to work harder and get it done faster.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler